title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Filing files in Grouped Alpha Folders (ie 'A-B' or 'PQR')

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okron
    • Jun 2008

Filing files in Grouped Alpha Folders (ie 'A-B' or 'PQR')

I started out and used EAC to rip all (I thought) our CDs to FLAC then used dMC to convert (duplicate) to mp3. I like dbpwramp and would like to stay with it for both ripping and converting....I've now found lots more CDs my wife/kids had stashed to rip to FLAC and then to mp3 so now I'm trying to replicate my current file structure. I organized my folders alphabetically using a 'grouped' alpha such as 'A-B', 'C-D',... 'PQR', 'U-Z' and 'zChristmas'. With EAC it would ask me my top folder and then build the Artist/Album/files structure from there....will CD Ripper handle this somehow? In my testing I currently am using the Default Naming convention (with minor tweeks) so I'm happy with that just would like the 'grouped alpha' structure.

Thanks
    Ron
  • Teknojnky
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2006

Re: Filing files in Grouped Alpha Folders (ie 'A-B' or 'PQR')

I'm not sure if dbpa can use that type of organization, but it can be done with mediamonkey using an auto-organize mask of <album artist@3> or <artist@3> etc. You can substitute any supported field and any number of characters. I use <album artist@1> myself.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Add:

[GRAB]1,1,[artist][]\

To the front of the naming string (you could expand it like the default naming to use album artist if present, or artist:

[GRAB]1,1,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\

(you need Refernce to do the above)
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• okron
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
        Add:

[GRAB]1,1,[artist][]\

To the front of the naming string (you could expand it like the default naming to use album artist if present, or artist:

[GRAB]1,1,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\

(you need Refernce to do the above)
        I see how that code will place the album in it's own single alpha folder but I'd like to put Al Jarreau and the Beatles in the same 'A-B' folder, same with Peter Frampton, Queen and Ray Charles in the 'PQR' folder ....is that an option or is my best bet to rip and manually move them to the grouped folder afterwards.

Thanks
        Ron

Comment

• Teknojnky
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2006

I don't think there is any program that will allow arbitrary size groups, at least not without specifying each individual group for all letters.

Using the above mediamonkey mask, it works only on consistent group..

ie <album artist@3> gives groups:

0-9
          abc
          def

<album artist@2> would be
          0-9
          ab
          cd
          ef

and so on.

MM can also ignore "The" and other user definable articles (DJ, Dr.) etc, which when used with the above masks would give put The Beatles in the B folder.

To have 2 letters in one group and 3 letters in another group, you would have to have all letters and numbers defined to go the specified folder.. which would make a huge un-weildy mask to deal with, if even any program could handle the length required for such a string.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It is not easy to put in A-B folder, it is possible with:

[IFEQUALS]artist,A[GRAB]2,,[artist][],A-B[][IFEQUALS]artist,B[GRAB]2,,[artist][],A-B[]\
            (that is just for A and B)

But you have to write every letter combination, and lowercase also and I am not sure naming would work with such a huge string.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• 73ChargerFan
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Nov 2006

My suggestion is to ignore the 3 or 5 letter directories at first. Rip using the artist name, then after a while just use windows explorer to grab all the A B & C artists and drag them into the correct folder. This should only take a minute or two, no matter how many cds you had ripped.

Comment

Working...

]]>