title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: (Not enough) PerfectMeta

(Not enough) PerfectMeta

Hi,

Edit: Please read the EDIT-parts at the bottom first, please.

I am nearly satisfied with the latest development in dBp's meta handling capabilities. PerfectMeta is great, but I keep wanting even more. And I don't consider myself being unreasonable.

I still come across with many CDs for which PerfectMeta doesn't achieve gathering satisfactory metadata.

Take for example Atlantic R&B 1947-1974 Vol.1 (8122-77576-2). Gracenote returns with very accurate and detailed composer information. PerfectMeta scores halfway. Composer information is there (courtesy of AMG) but with the detail of only about 60% compared to what Gracenote provides.

Now, to make use of that detailed Gracenote data, I can open the CD in Windows Media Player (WMP) and through multiple clickety clicks, copy-paste the information into dBp. Unbearable for batch ripping purposes.

I know Gracenote requires licensing payments (and it was just recently acquired by Sony, who knows what lies ahead). But since a lot of Windows users already own those licences through the ownership of WMP, could there exist means or it be made possible to automatically transfer that WMP-collected information into dBp and id tags?

Thanks

PS. Using Vista, what is the easiest solution to view uncommon FLAC id tags such as ISRC, UPC or Raw CD TOC?

EDIT: I must add that I simply assume WMP uses Gracenote for metadata needs. Nonetheless, whichever database in incorporates, to me it seems superior to AMG, GD3 and freedb. Even when the three are combined.

EDIT2: I'm getting confused here. I did some research and it seems that WMP actually uses AMG. If that is true, then how come dBp returns much inferior results from AMG? Another example CD you can do the comparison yourselves: Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age (RR 8674-2), for this album both dBp and WMP return composer information for only three (but the same) tracks but WMP gives more detailed information.
    Last edited by atlantic; 06-08-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Even more information

Administrator

Re: (Not enough) PerfectMeta

WMP does not use gracenote, it is AMG blended internally with another database. You will always find the odd disc which swings one way or the other, bear in mind before PerfectMeta WMP was top dog, nothing else came close to accuracy. I think that over many discs PerfectMeta will bear out and win for the main fields (extended details like composer only come from 1 source, AMG so perfectmeta is not used on those fields).

Thanks, good to know WMP's database practices. "...AMG blended internally with another database" was just the information I was looking for eventually.

I'll go with these and do my small part in improving dBp cache local database by manually adding the extra info from WMP. Isn't that what happens when I personally edit the tags and stay online?

BTW, would it be legal to code and spread for wider use a small "link program" for importing the WMP meta information into dBp in order to take advantage of that "another database" which WMP incorporates?

BT2NDW, Is the WMP's "another database" built from metadata manually updated by users?

Administrator

>would it be legal to code and spread for wider use a small "link program" for importing the WMP meta

Technically it would not be legal.

WMP does not use any user submitted database.