title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Multiple Artists Tagging Anomaly

Multiple Artists Tagging Anomaly

I have been transitioning from using EAC to dBpoweramp and am in the process of standardising the tagging for all of my previously ripped flac music files. For this I have been re-encoding my flac files using dMC (batch converter) and in the process retagging them (with ID Tag Processing) using the original flac files tags as the basis. I have been checking the success and consistency of the new tags using dMC's (batch converter) Audio Info plug-in and this has been working very well so far.

However, I have just hit an anomoly between two albums, both with multiple artists in the the Artist tag as follows:

Album 1

Ripped by EAC to flac format. Re-encoded using dMC batch converter and ID Tag Processing. Audio Info shows the Artist field to be populated with the following:

Artist 1; Artist 2 (i.e. multiple artists separated by a semi-colon and a space).

The dBpoweramp pop-up in windows explorer shows the Artist tag to be shown as:

Artist 1; Artist 2 (i.e. multiple artists separated by a semi-colon and a space).

The dBpoweramp Edit ID-tag dialog box in windows explorer shows the Artist tag to be shown as:

So consistent in all cases.

Album 2

Ripped by dBpoweramp R13 Reference to flac format. Multiple artists were separated by a semi-colon followed by a space. Audio Info shows the Artist field to be populated with the following:

Artist 1 Artist 2 (i.e. multiple artists separated by a space and NO semi-colon).

The dBpoweramp pop-up in windows explorer shows the Artist tag to be shown as:

Artist 1
    Artist 2
    (i.e. multiple artists shown below each other).

The dBpoweramp Edit-tag dialog box in windows explorer shows the Artist tag to be shown as:

Completely inconsistent!!!

Why is there a difference? I want all of my tagging to be consistent and so would like to resolve this difference.

Administrator

Re: Multiple Artists Tagging Anomaly

Make sure you have the latest FLAC codec as a first start.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Make sure you have the latest FLAC codec as a first start.
    I am using the latest codec, i.e. FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917, for all of the re-encoding.

What version is installed into dMC? The latest version is release 11, based on FLAC 1.2.1.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    What version is installed into dMC? The latest version is release 11, based on FLAC 1.2.1.
    It is release 11, FLAC 1.2.1.

Administrator

What is the disc title? (artist, album)?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    What is the disc title? (artist, album)?
    Album 1

Album Artist = Frank Sinatra
    Album = Duets

All tracks have two artists defined, Frank Sinatra and one other.

Album 2

Album Artist = Frank Sinatra
    Album = Sinatra At The Sands

Most tracks have two artists defined, Frank Sinatra; Count Basie
    A few others only have one artist defined, Frank Sinatra

Where is the album meta data sourced from? Could that be the problem?

What happens to the tags if you rip Album 1 with CD Ripper or Album 2 with EAC? How do the tags compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Where is the album meta data sourced from? Could that be the problem?

What happens to the tags if you rip Album 1 with CD Ripper or Album 2 with EAC? How do the tags compare?
    Album 1 was ripped using EAC and then re-encoded using DMC.

Album 2 was ripped using dBpoweramp.

I have now since checked the exact tagging using metaflac with the following results:

Album 1

comment[0]: Artist=Frank Sinatra; Luther Vandross

Album 2

comment[0]: Artist=Frank Sinatra
    comment[1]: Artist=Count Basie

I assume that the tagging is "correct" for Album 2 (as this had been ripped by dBpoweramp). So within Windows Explorer I went into Edit-tag on one of the tracks in Album 1 and deleted the space between the artist names (so artist1; artist2 => artist1;artist2) and then added the space back in - effectively forcing dBpoweramp to rewrite the Artist tags. This resulted in the tags being rewritten as:

comment[1]: Artist=Luther Vandross

I repeated this manually for each Album 1 track and now they are listed the same as Album 2. So is it correct/best practice that only one artist should be listed on each artist tag?

If so, I'd like to suggest that Audio Info be modified to put a semi-colon between multiple artists to avoid confusion.

Administrator

This is incorrect tagging for multiple artists

comment[1]: Artist=Count Basie
    This is correct

Whatever is "correct" or not, my media programs are not multiple artist aware so I will have to retag them as:

I know how to do this using dMC to re-encode and using the appropriate "Manipulation" option in ID Tag Processing, but is it possible to also do this manually (thereby avoiding re-encoding) by using Edit ID-tag in windows explorer, i.e. is there an option to change the default behaviour of creating two separate Artist tags?

Administrator

You can install the [ID Tag Update] utility codec to do the same as ID Tag Processing.