title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Fraunhofer IIS mp3 encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian49
    • Sep 2004

Fraunhofer IIS mp3 encoder

A couple of questions about this encoder, please:

(1) In the conversion dialog, it says that sample rates of 32, 44.1 and 48kHz are supported, but with no option to select one of these. The dialog layout gives the impression that the choice of a higher bit rate will be accompanied by a higher sample rate. Yet even after encoding at 320kbps, the output file is at a sample rate of 44.1kHz. How do I get it to be 48kHz? (I'm aware that resampling is available as a DSP effect, but that's a different matter.) I have Professional Frequency Conversion checked in the Music Converter config.

(2) On the audio properties page of the output file, under Encoder, it says "FHG (guess)". How come dBpoweramp doesn't know for sure that it's FHG, when it has just hosted the encoding?

Many thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Fraunhofer IIS mp3 encoder

Fraunhofer match the frequency to the source, that is if the source file is 44.1KHz your mp3 should be the same, converting a 44.1KHz file to 48KHz will have less quality.

Fraunhofer do not wite any identifier to the mp3 file, unlike lame, so it is a guess (as other encoders write similar layout files).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian49
      • Sep 2004

That's helpful, thanks very much.

Comment

• Brian49
        • Sep 2004

Is the version of the FhG encoder available at Codec Central the latest version produced by Fraunhofer, leaving aside the mp3surround encoder they currently have on offer, please? I'm not particularly interested in mp3surround, but if there's a newer `straight' encoder in circulation, I'd like to try it out if possible. Many thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

I am 90% sure our code is the latest Fraunhofer (including normal mp3 encodings), but it is difficult to tell as they have different version numbers.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian49
            • Sep 2004

Thanks - that's good news. In fact I've now discovered that the codec contained in the mp3surround package currently available has a version number lower than that of the codec you have on offer. Your codec gives excellent results at 320kbps, by the way.

Comment

Working...

]]>