title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wont connect to Freedb

br4d05

Question Wont connect to Freedb

I cant seem to get it to connect to Freedb. I have restarted and replugged myself into the router. It worked fine before I uninstalled and reinstalled the program (someone messed with some of the programs files so i had to reinstall it).

But now it wont even connect to the database to find what CD im trying to rip.

Here are my settings for it:
    Retrieve Freedb detail for new CD's: Checked
    Dial Internet connection: Unchecked
    Freedb server: freedb.freedb.org
    Port: 80
    CGI Script: /~cddb/cddb.cgi
    Reties: 3
    Proxy: Unchecked
    Intelligent Freedb text formatting: Unchecked

Im on a cable modem. I am connected to a router then the router goes to the modem. It used to work fine like I had already stated. If anyone has any clue what is wrong I would greatly appreciate your help, even if does not work.

- Brad

br4d05

Talking

WOHO! I fixed it! The "Random" server of freedb.freedb.org wasn't working correctly so I changed it to the "USA" server of us.freedb.org and it works fine now. If anyone else is having this problem here is a link to get your closest server for Freedb.

http://www.freedb.org/modules.php?na...rticle&artid=9

- Brad

(P.S. - I think this should be made a sticky for people whom have a similar problem)

Question Re: Wont connect to Freedb

im having kinda same problem with FreeDB: when i open the Music Converter; it checks Freedb for the tracklisting for my cd, but then stops and gives me this error message "Unable to connect with FreeDB database, please check your Internet connection". I am connected to the internet with a cable modem and i am not behind any firewall. i tried changing the freeDB server that DMC connects to and i still get the error message for every one. i'm using WinXp and im trying to connect to ca.freedb.org. Any help would be appreciated

Administrator

Re: Wont connect to Freedb

Your cable modem might go through a proxy, run Internet Explorer >> Tools >> Internet Options >> Connections >> Lan Settings - is a proxy server listed?

solgar

Unhappy Re: Wont connect to Freedb

I'm also having the same problem as the others.

This happened last week with another software that I
    use called Easy CD-DA Extractor. I really want to use the software, but It's really hard to get them to thoroughly troubleshoot the problem in their message boards, so I downloaded your software because I wanted to try your
    to see if the problem still exists and it does. I'm hoping I can get a final resolution to this.

I don't have a proxy server in my Internet settings.
    I use a satellite connection to Direcway.
    I have Norton Internet Security 2004 (for a Windows 98 SE operating system). I disabled my firewall and tried retrieving and the text still can't be retrieved. I had tried changing the Freedb server several times, but this has no effect, unfortunately.

I do have a new DVD drive on my PC.
    The DVD Drive is an "OptoRite DVD RW DD0203 2.23"

I'd really appreciate some help, thanx.

Administrator

Try searching the internet for a Proxy server you can use (an open proxy server), then try connecting through that.

Unregistered

Question Re: Wont connect to Freedb

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Try searching the internet for a Proxy server you can use (an open proxy server), then try connecting through that.
    How is this done??

Administrator

Audio CD Input >> Options - select freedb server line, click 'Select'. Check Proxy and use:

set the port to 80, click ok, ok and freedb button, does it work? you can find more public proxy ervers here:

http://www.proxy4free.com/page4.html

BTW Here is interesting reading about Easy CDDA guy:

http://www.accuraterip.com/pokisoft.htm

Unregistered

still no go

Audio CD Input >> Options - select freedb server line, click 'Select'. Check Proxy and use:

set the port to 80, click ok, ok and freedb button, does it work? you can find more public proxy ervers here:

http://www.proxy4free.com/page4.html

BTW Here is interesting reading about Easy CDDA guy:

http://www.accuraterip.com/pokisoft.htm

Administrator

If you have Windows XP that has a built in firewall option...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

If you have Windows XP that has a built in firewall option...
    Spoon, I've been having difficulty too. Latest CDGRAB dated 12/24/03.

It seems like freedb cannot get a hit on the album, and dMC loops on "Requesting Albums", locking up the PC. I have used Task Manager to kill it several times.

I have disabled XP firewall, tried proxies, all to no change. XP offers to send an error report to M$, would you like it instead (I am not sending it to M$).

It may also be related to what freedb.org states as "corruption in some dbs".
    That's not going to help.

I tried limiting "retries" to minimize the timeout duration, doesn't help.

If dMC could have a "manual" fetch - one try, report a hit or a miss - it might help reduce frustration, and allow a freedb error to be more readily detected.

Any other CDDB format dbs out there that you know of??

Thanks!

Add me to the list too. It was working great but has suddenly stopped.

I am trying to change the server I point to from freedb.freedb.org but the program hangs everytime I try. Is there any other way to change the location? I was unable to find it in the Windows registry.

Thanks
    jta

Edit: I found my immediate problem was caused by the VPN connection to my office. I was able to change the server before connecting to VPN and everything is working now.
    Last edited by GarageMahal; 02-13-2004 at 02:14 AM.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by solgar
    I'm also having the same problem as the others.

This happened last week with another software that I
    use called Easy CD-DA Extractor. I really want to use the software, but It's really hard to get them to thoroughly troubleshoot the problem in their message boards, so I downloaded your software because I wanted to try your
    to see if the problem still exists and it does. I'm hoping I can get a final resolution to this.

I don't have a proxy server in my Internet settings.
    I use a satellite connection to Direcway.
    I have Norton Internet Security 2004 (for a Windows 98 SE operating system). I disabled my firewall and tried retrieving and the text still can't be retrieved. I had tried changing the Freedb server several times, but this has no effect, unfortunately.

I do have a new DVD drive on my PC.
    The DVD Drive is an "OptoRite DVD RW DD0203 2.23"

I'd really appreciate some help, thanx.

samspade.org should have a traceroute tool. It should be able to tell you all the nodes between you and whatever freedb address you are trying to reah.

Mti

Unregistered

I just downloaded dbpoweramp and am alos having trouble with freedb connections. I've tried several of the servers listed and it always comes back saying "Unable to connect to freedb database, please check your internet connection." I am running Windows XP with a cable modem and I do not have the any firewall enabled. I can go to the web page manually without problme. I can also manually reach the cgi script directory. Is it possible it's timing out too soon and giving up?

I really like the program, but I need to have this functiuonality. If there's anything your find, please let me know. kevin@inthemeantime.com

Unregistered

I also noticed that when I up the retries number (to 25) it still doesn't connect. But the interesting part is that even though I specified us.freedb.org, it shows de.freedb.org as the connection site on the status bar at the bottom. After a few seconds of retries, it then comes back with the error. Even with the random server configured (freedb.freedb.org), it always stops on de.freedb.org and then fails. Thanks again. kevin@inthemeantime.com