title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Thorough/Granular access to AMG db?

Thorough/Granular access to AMG db?

Hi all, I've been using dbpoweramp for many years and I love it.
    There's a functionality that I would like to see but I don't know if it's possible.

Basically, my collection is in FLAC, and I have specific tagging needs. I have many custom tags that I use in my collection. Currently, I scrape allmusic.com using a really complex The Godfather script. It's super complex, although they work reasonably well (but sometimes unreliable), I can't find the motivation to improve on them because of the complexity of the code.

I'm intrigued with the AMG support, I already have the license but it seems to be limiting me. So I have a few questions:

1.) Is it possible to have more thorough and granular access to the AMG database using or not the CD ripper program? In particular, I like to have the "Performer" information (for example, orchestra, conductor, etc...). For classical music, I currently tag such information as Composer country, period, composition date, first performance date, composer biographies, reviews, etc... Another example to classical music is I like to tag the Work title and the Opus separatly in custom tags and then combine then in the standard "title" tag so that my MP3 player can see the tags.

2.) If the above information is available, is it possible to have more control in terms of exactly how to tag my files? I would like to have full control over exactly which information is tagged in which exact tag value.

If the above functionality is already available, I'd love some assistance in guiding me. I haven't dwelled deeply into several aspects of the programs.

I don't currently have the Reference license but I am seriously considering it especially if the above is possible or can be added in the near future.

Thanks in advance!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Thorough/Granular access to AMG db?

As far as I know, dBpoweramp will only access AMG for CDs, not for files. So if you have already ripped, ...

Yeah I haven't noticed of any way to tag already ripped music either.
    Is there any chance of adding this functionality to the scripting engine/tools? That would be really cool.

Can you write custom tags with the scripting engine?

Another reason why I'd like to have a separate tagging mechanism from the ripping is that the way I choose to tag albums or boxsets that span over multiple CDs is to have them look as if they were 1 CD. Obviously in that case, I don't tag on a per CD basis, but on a per album basis.

I find the concept of multiple CDs/discs for an album pointless for ripped music. (I know I'm properly in the minority with this point)

The most obvious example of why I feel this way is when I look at Opera recordings or some really long Classical symphonies (some of Mahler's symphonies in particular) which themselves are spanning over multiple discs. It's obvious that the only reason they're split onto multiple discs is because they just couldn't fit within a 74 minute CD.