title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Plextor DVDR PX-800A and C2 error support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demoleon
    • Apr 2006

Plextor DVDR PX-800A and C2 error support

Hello,

I have asked this question before but thought I'd do it again to see if any new developements have come up. I have the above drive using the 12.4 ripper under Vista 64bit. When I enable C2 error correction and pop in a disk it seems to work fine...ripping a disk in about 2:30 with no errors reported. I remove that disk and insert another and this time dbPoweramp has to re-rip the whole track (1000s of frames.) Another disk and the same problem reripping every frame on every track. I disable C2 and the disks rip secure. This is frustrating as my CD purports to support C2 but obviously something is wrong. Anyone run into this and have a solution. I sure would like to speed up my ripping!

Thanks,
    John
  • demoleon
    • Apr 2006

Re: Plextor DVDR PX-800A and C2 error support

One other thing to mention that may or may not bear on this problem. While quite a few discs are recognized by Accruate Rip, few of them ever Accurate Rip secure (although they do rip secure in dbPoweramp with two passes.) I had always chalked this up to the fact that I mainly rip classical CDs where the AR data would be sparse but maybe my drive is causing the problem?

Thanks,
    John

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

It is the drive which is failiing and returning bogus audio data (for there to be 1000's of bad frames).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• demoleon
        • Apr 2006

Is there anything I can do about this? Or do I just have the wrong drive for ripping? If so can you recommend the best drive for your software?

Thanks,
        John

Comment

• PSSO
          • Jul 2007

I had similar problems with a Plextor PX-810SA. After I replaced it with a Pioneer DVR-215D, I have had no problems.

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by demoleon
            Is there anything I can do about this? Or do I just have the wrong drive for ripping? If so can you recommend the best drive for your software?
            John - if you get the chance, try the same drive with EAC with C2 enabled and report back.

-brendan

Comment

• demoleon
              • Apr 2006

Finally downloaded and tried EAC and so far have had no problems. I am using secure mode and c2 error support and the CDs rip quickly with no errors. I have a CD that I thought had a bad track (dbPoweramp had to re-rip many frames and when the rip was completed reported an insecure track.) I sent the CD back for a replacement and the replacement showed the same behavior. I put this disc in EAC and ripped no problems. I listened to the "bad" track and heard no clicks or other errors. Strange...I would much prefer to use dbPoweramp but maybe EAC is the way to go.

Thanks,
              John

Comment

• bhoar
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2006

John - it would be interesting to see the rip logs for both tools with that CD on the 800.

-brendan

Comment

• demoleon
                  • Apr 2006

I have tried a couple of things...I have upgraded to version 13 reference. Same behavior. I have replaced one of my Plextors with a Lite-On CD-RW and again same behavior. Very frustrating.

Thanks,
                  John

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                    It is the drive which is failiing and returning bogus audio data (for there to be 1000's of bad frames).
                    Spoon - is this one of those drives that seems to lose track of the stream (even though it claims accurate stream) when reporting C2, esp. when not forcing rereads (such as in pass 1/pass 2 situations)? Or is it just plainly reporting bad C2 data?

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Difficult to tell, detailed logs you might see which of the 2. For me if I had to guess the offset of the drive has changed mid rip, so when the 2nd pass is done the data is all skewed. EAC might get around this because it rips in small chunks and resyncs those chunks, so the offset might not play. dBpoweramp does not rip in small chunks (it is too slow and places too much strain on the drive).
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• demoleon
                        • Apr 2006

Well, Now I am trying a Pioneer DVR-115D and am getting the same errors. This sucks! After three drives I am thinking that this is a software problem. It's wierd...some discs rip with one pass no problem. Others have to re-rip hundreds of frame on each track. Other have some tracks rip in one rip and some tracks with hundreds of reripped frames. In all cases the discs are secure. Can ANYBODY help me out here? Or are all drives just crap?

Comment

• bhoar
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by demoleon
                          Well, Now I am trying a Pioneer DVR-115D and am getting the same errors. This sucks! After three drives I am thinking that this is a software problem. It's wierd...some discs rip with one pass no problem. Others have to re-rip hundreds of frame on each track. Other have some tracks rip in one rip and some tracks with hundreds of reripped frames. In all cases the discs are secure. Can ANYBODY help me out here? Or are all drives just crap?
                          Take a look in the Device Manager at the DVD/CD drives section, get the properties of the devices found there, look at the Details tab and report back any Upper or Lower Filter Drivers (Class or Device) found there. There are likely a couple ones that are OK, but some Burning software (as well as some malware) stash problematic drivers into the call stack and, in addition some "copy protected" CDs also stash problematic "drivers" (forced DRM) in there as well, which can interact badly with ripping software.

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>