title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"Verify Written Audio" not safe enough? Defective files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Porcus
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2007

"Verify Written Audio" not safe enough? Defective files

First: I am not sure whether this is a beta release issue or not.

I rip to FLAC, with this option ticked. I did assume that this would guarantee the written .flac file to be decodeable, but so doesn't necessarily seem to be the case; I have a few counterexamples, where the .FLAC file aborts but the .FLAC.TMP file -- identical in size -- exists and plays OK (when I rename it).

Long version:
    ---
    - In a batch of 190 CDs ripped late April (28th, with a then-recent beta version), I had 10 defective files -- defective in the sense that they abort on decoding (from what I've heard both Synthetic Soul's "flac-verify.bat" and VUPlayer's "AudioTester.exe", just listen to error messages from the FLAC decoder; anyway, the latter application gave some errors like "(TRUNCATED @ 4m 15s)", and foobar refused to play after about that time in the track.
    - For each of these tracks, there was a .flac.tmp file. Renaming and checking, the flac.tmp file was OK.
    - All the files were track 01 or track 02 in the CD. No two in the same.
    - A search later revealed that of the 190 CDs ripped, 59 had a .flac.tmp file -- 49 in addition to the 10 defective.
    - Of the 59, 40 were track 01, 18 track 02 and only one later in the CD.
    - None had weird characters in the file names (the flac-verify.bat bugs on such).

It seems that the .flacs files have noe been sufficiently verified. I would in the very least expect the final file to have been checked for such errors.

As for the mandatory "back up a.s.a.p." advice: thanks, done.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: "Verify Written Audio" not safe enough? Defective files

It writes flac.tmp when changing the id tag, so something is stopping the flac.tmp being moved over .flac, anyhow make sure you have latest flac codec which would not require this.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>