title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Need advice ripping problem CD track

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need advice ripping problem CD track

The last track on a CD I ripped (DMP 12.4) didn't rip accurately (and is audibly defective) so I switched to secure mode and tried again. After the second pass, it displayed "Re-Rip [xxxxx Frames]", with the frames starting near 40,000 and ticking down 1 approximately every 5 sec. I let it run for 45 min. and then gave up, calculating it would take over 2 days to count down to zero. This is my first time using secure mode so I don't know what it's supposed to do. Is it ripping the whole track a frame at a time? That's overkill; the bad part is about 85% of the way into the track. Should I be experimenting with some of the other secure settings? Any advice would be appreciated!

Administrator

Re: Need advice ripping problem CD track

It is a drive fault, 40,000 frames is the whole track.

Spoon,

I have had up towards 2,000-3,000 frames on a track being re-ripped on certain badly scratched CDs. Is that normal or could that be an indication of drive fault too?

Thanks.

Nubben

dBpoweramp Guru

What's the drive's make, model and firmware revision? What interface is being used (IDE/SATA/USB/Firewire)? If one of the last two, what bridge chipset?

-brendan

Here’s an update on my efforts. I tried ripping the track in my 2nd drive, a Lite-On. This time Re-Rip started ticking down from around 15,000 frames, and the vertical red line is about 2/3 through the track, which is where the first problem area is. So that’s better, although I’m still facing a total rip time of around 20 hrs., and I’m concerned that would stress the drive too much. Anything else I can try?
    To answer your question, bhoar, my first try was on a Sony DRU-810A (firmware 1.0f). This second try was on a Lite-On SH-S182M (firmware SB06). Both are IDE.

Having the exact same problem. Last track on CD. Tried 2 different CD drives, one internal, the other external via firewire. Let both run for 2 hours and gave up. Please help!

Administrator

All you can do is try a different drive or CD.

OK, I'm getting ready to give a shot to trying the secure rip on my drive that was starting at 15,000 frames, which is about 85% of the way through the track. I assume it was smart enough to start here because that's where the first track damage is. Question: will it continue to go frame-by-frame all the way to the end of the track from here, or is it smart enough to recognize when it reaches an undamaged section of the track and skip to the next problem section?

Administrator

Yes