title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endless "Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection"

Endless "Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection"

Hello,

My CD Ripper was working fine until I changed DVD drives. Now I get endlessly prompted for Key Discs. Whatever disc I provide, I get the same message:

"This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection (it does not match the one stored in AccurateRips database)"

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. My new drive is a Pioneer DVR-215D. I've tried uninstalling (using the dbPowerAmp utility which wipes "program files", registry, and application data) and reinstalling. I've also disabled my (McAfee) firewall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank...

Don

Administrator

Re: Endless "Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection"

Perhaps there is a fault with the drive?

The same thing happened to me when I got a new PC a couple of months back - I just kept feeding it discs until it found a couple it was happy with. I think at first it would "forget" too, it would be OK for a set of rips, but next time I started the program it would ask me again. Curiously, as I recall it needs a couple of "good ones" in a row, sometimes the same discs would work/not work depending on its mood.

After a few restarts it was fine, and it hasn't reoccurred.

I didn't have the issue at all on my original PC. Both Toshiba Tecra laptops, this one obviously a newer model.

- Mark

Thanks guys,

Things are working out much like chileboy's experience. Here is my advise to anyone the same situation. Keep on trying discs until you find three that work. Don't give up just because a key disc "cannot be used". I tried dozens of "key" discs before I found three that worked. Just keep plugin away. Thanks again!

Don H

What IS a key disc? My Accurate Rip says "waiting for key disc to find offset." I'm not getting the pop-up dialogue promised in the help file. Maybe that's why ultra is not active yet either. No point ripping a bunch of obscure CDs without error correction turned on.

I guess key disk is some double platinum hiphop disk whose offset value is statistically significant enough on AR to be definitive reference for offset, to compare to my drive? I need three of those?? That might be tough with my CD collection. I don't listen to pop or rock.
    Thanks
    Rich

Administrator

Try your most popular cds.

I am having a similar problem. Just a day or two ago it seemed all of my discs were being found. Now today I go to setup my secondary CD drive to use with CD Ripper and during offset detection it tells me the key disc could not be found. It's the same key disc I used for my primary CD drive. I tried using two other discs found in the key disc list to no avail. What could be the problem?

Administrator

Some drives are difficult to configure.

Thanks Spoon. I've finally got it to recognize about 10 key discs but now it wants 3 key discs with the same offset. None of them have been very close to each other and I am about 40 discs into my collection. This is very frustrating.

Wouldn't you know it. I post the previous reply and a handful of discs later and the three matching discs. Well it's all worth it to insure accurate rips. :-)

Can someone name 3 matching discs that they used? I bought 3 cd's today just for the purpose of setting up poweramp, but I keep getting the message that the cd's can't be used.

I don't really own any cd's... I just bought the Layla Master Recordings and want to rip it. Don't wanna keep buying cd's to try to calibrate this thing though.
    Last edited by mkmossop; 09-27-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Administrator

There is no definitive list as it depends on pressing version of the CD you have. You have to keep feeding CDs until it configures, or get a drive which is already in the database and it will configure with any disc in the database.

Alright well that sucks. Guess I gotta buy a few more cd's. I have one that seems to work, so I guess I need 2 more.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mkmossop View Post
    Alright well that sucks. Guess I gotta buy a few more cd's. I have one that seems to work, so I guess I need 2 more.
    Check out some popular cds from the library or borrow some from a friend.

Good ideas thanks!