title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

AMG vs. GD3 - Options in Batch Ripper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daxb
    • Apr 2008

AMG vs. GD3 - Options in Batch Ripper

Now that there are two commercial options for metadata, I am curious if there are any clear distinctions between the two. Batch ripper has an option to look at AMG and if nothing is present, then look at GD3. Or you can have the batch ripper look at both and presumably use it in the smart metadata tool.

The obvious difference is price. GD3 is more expensive and doing both by default is clearly the more expensive way to go.

Someone else posted that the GD3 album art is superior.

Any other thoughts or reasons to go one way or the other?
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: AMG vs. GD3 - Options in Batch Ripper

I am not sure what the cost is on the GD3, but I was under the impression they were going to match the AMG cost.

Comment

• daxb
      • Apr 2008

GD3
      200 $25.00 $0.125 per disc
      500 $60.00 $0.120 per disc
      1000 $110.00 $0.110 per disc
      5000 $525.00 $0.105 per disc
      10000 $1,000.00 $0.100 per disc

AMG
      100 $7.60 $0.076 per disc
      1000 $74.00 $0.074 per disc
      10000 $735.00 $0.074 per disc

Using the 1000 disc bundle price for comparison, GD3 is $0.036 more than AMG. It does not sound like much but it amounts to $36.00 when making your purchase. If you look up both every time then you will spend $0.184 per disc or $184 for 1000 discs. If you use the option to only use GD3 when AMG is absent, then your money will go further.

Is looking up both at the same time worth the extra expenditure or can I be cheap (at least cheaper since there are free alternatives out there) and only use GD3 when AMG is absent.

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

personally, no, I would not pay that much per disc.

Comment

• Tirade
          • Mar 2008

I agree also, too expensive. Will definately eat into your profits if you have a ripping service (the majority of batch rip customers).

Stick with AMG IMO

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Tirade
            I agree also, too expensive. Will definately eat into your profits if you have a ripping service (the majority of batch rip customers).

Stick with AMG IMO
            My understanding of the approach recommended by another commercial ripping software provider was to divide the collection into two stacks, classical and non-classical and then use GD3 for one and AMG for the other (I think it was in the stated order).

That was a year or so ago, not sure if the advice is still good (if it was good to begin with).

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>