title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Support for ID3 "Language(s)" tag

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WinTakeAll
    • Dec 2007

Support for ID3 "Language(s)" tag

I'm missing support for the ID3 language tag. As of R12.4 it's possible but very awkward to add or change one: You have to manually type the tag name "Language(s)" just like that, and you have to know and manually type the language code such as "eng", "fre" or "ger".

What you want is the tag and common languages selectable in drop-down boxes, comparable to how tags like the "Genre" tag are handled.

I'm also noticing that on a conversion from Windows Media format to MP3, language tags misconverted and can no longer be used by language-aware players: For example, a WM tag for "Swedish" shows up as an ID3 tag of "WM/Language: sv" when the correct ID3 tag is "Langauge(s): sve". (Note not only the change in tag name but also the change from 2-letter to 3-letter ISO-639 codes, and that the code "sve" in this example is a de-facto exception to the ISO-639 standard which says "swe".)
  • JeePee
    • Sep 2009

Re: Support for ID3 "Language(s)" tag

Yes I'd like to see this too!
    In the current version under options you already can add "custom & fixed value tags" do you don't have to add it for each cd you rip. You still have to enter the value though.

I am not sure about a predefined list of 3 character languages though. I know http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames use the 3 character iso codes, but if you use the advanced tag editor in windows media player (with the predefined list) you get the 2 or 5 character internet domain+language codes (like 'en', 'en-us' 'en-ca' etc).

I am glad I found you post by the way. I already tried to add an element "Language" and "TLAN" but they did not work.

thx!

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Remember, though, that dMC doesn't support ID3v2.4, just ID3v2.3.

Comment

• JeePee
        • Sep 2009

Well, adding this "Language(s)" element is not the resolution after all. I have added this element with language codes that are used by Windows Media Player (like "en" for English, "es" for Spanish, "nl" for Dutch or "fr" for French). After adding them to the WMP library, WMP recognizes there is something in the element, but it does not display the correct code. For example, if I enter "en" in dbpoweramp, WMP shows "nl".

So basically the question is, what element do I need to add and what code do I need to enter to get the language correctly displayed in WMP?

Comment

Working...

]]>