title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: m4a & Apple Lossless R8

Administrator

m4a & Apple Lossless R8

Changes:

Tagging option (default on) to allow file for fast start (AppleTV requires moov chunk before mdat)
    Better at handling corrupted m4a / m4b files.
    Rewritten Apple Lossless decoder to accept extra unexpected chunks
    Apple Lossless encoder - uses m4a decoder to verify (previously had own decoder)
    Added Option to write Nokia / Sony compatible ID3 tags

Bug Fix: Apple Lossless files now 100% compatible with Apple iPod / AppleTV.
    Bug Fix: Some AMG Styles have "/" in them, these were appearing as incorrect multi items
    Bug Fix: if file is 0 bytes or does not exist, then Popup info could make the file re-appear.
    Bug Fix: correct storage of multi-line comments and preservation of '/' in tags which are non mulitline

Download:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a.exe
    Last edited by Spoon; 07-18-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Administrator

Re: m4a & Apple Lossless R8

Big Update 15th May

See first message for changes.

We are waiting for verification that the Apple TV problem has been solved. I have tested the infamous iPod Apple Lossless issue, it seems to be fixed.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I've ripped to Apple Lossless using R8 of this codec (under WinXP) and the resulting files play fine on my friend's AppleTV, which is being fed by his Mac Pro.

Still having the problem of an empty file returning after it is deleted. R13 on Windows XP SP2.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

LtData - is that from within iTunes, or Win Explorer, or both? Haven't noticed this error myself, but then haven't been looking for it!

Windows Explorer. Just get a m4a file and delete it. in my case, it popped right back in as a 0-byte file.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hmm. Not for me. I ripped a stack of stuff over the weekend, just tried deleting them by folder, by random file, through Win Explorer and they've stayed deleted.

Win XP Pro SP2
    Ref 13
    Multi Encoder 2, to...
    Apple Lossless Codec r8
    Lame 3.97
    DSP effects rel 3 (for hidden track silence removal and tag processing)

...let me know if there's anything I can do to help diagnose this one, but it's working fine for me. I've not changed any file/folder permissions, and my Windows account is admin level.

Administrator

Update 18th July

Bug Fix: correct storage of multi-line comments and preservation of '/' in tags which are non mulitline

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have uninstalled all my dbpoweramp programs and codecs and ma reinstalling them with the registered reference music converter 13

My question: Do I still need to use the Nero m4a file to do apple lossless conversions? and I have forgotten where the instructions are for setting that up.

The instructions for getting the nero encoder are in the help file. And I don't believe you need the nero .exe file for just ALAC encoding/decoding.

Administrator

For Apple Lossless you do not need any Nero .exe's

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, all is well with the r13 reference with r13.1 beta loaded on top and also some updated and beta codecs.

I'me very very impressed with the beta stuff you are working on, especially r13.1

Sorry I repeting this here because I dont know where is the correct thread to put it.

I wanted convert some of my FLAC 24/28 to ALAC, however dbpoweramp would not let me. The files apparently have to be 16 bit 44.1.

I've made a research and ALAC "IS" not just compatible with 24bits but with 48KHz and 96Khz. For short ALAC is full compatible with HD audio especification and multi channel.

Why Cant I convert form my Flac 24bits/48KHz directly to ALAC. I wanted to to that, first because is pratical and second to keep all the file tags copied as well.

Is that a problems with dbpoweramp converter?

Thanks

Administrator

Our implementation is CD quality only.

Administrator

Now Released.