title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Support for 8 cores?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snowknight26
    • Nov 2008

Re: Support for 8 cores?

Ok, I just did several tests test on my Q6600 @ 3.3GHz, 500GB WD Caviar.

Encoding speed and encoding time values were averaged for increased accuracy:
    16-bit/48KHz Stereo Apple Lossless -> FLAC (c8), 1 core, 44x encoding speed. Since the file is 4:19 long, it took ~5.8864 seconds to encode it. Apple Lossless file was 18.0MB, FLAC was 19MB. 37MB (without taking caching into consideration) in 6 seconds (being generous), thats 6.2MB/s. Say my HDD can do 70MB/s. That means I'd have to be using 12 (11.29 rounded up) cores before my HDD becomes the bottleneck.

Now lets say I'm encoding to a network drive over Gigabit LAN where the network is the bottleneck (tops out @ a theoretical 125MB/s). If my HDD could keep up with the network, I'd have to use 40 cores before it becomes the bottleneck as you can calculate from the next sentence. But it can only do 70MB/s as I estimated before, we adjust the calculations. Since the output and input file sizes are roughly the same, we can cut the HDD read/write speed from 6.2MB/s to 3.1MB/s. That means 22 cores to max out the HDD. 22 cores * (125MB/s / 70MB/s) = 40 cores.

So unless I happen to have a 16+ core machine (lucky me, I do!), the HDDs won't become the bottleneck.

Same can probably apply to standard users too.
    Last edited by Snowknight26; 12-02-2008, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Your test would have to time 4 cores, because it does not take into account the head seeking when you get multiple streams writing, etc.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Snowknight26
        • Nov 2008

4 cores averaged 173x, just negligibly slower than 4*44x. HDD usage was almost exactly as calculated: just shy of 25MB/s.

No performance hit at all.

Nice try though.

Comment

• Meanmotion
          • Jan 2009

I'm another person who really wants to know whether DBPowerAmp supports more than 4 threads and if not why not.

This whole HDD thing is utterly beside the point - have you seen the speed of Intel's SSDs for instance?

I use DBPowerAmp for measuring CPU speed and have now hit a brick wall with Intel's new Core i7 processors, which emulate 8 cores. If I can't utilise all 8 'cores' then I will have to drop DBPowerAmp from my testing.

Cheers,

Ed.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

This will benchmark test 8 cores:

The purpose of this bench mark suite, is to test a computers performance (speed), using up to 16 CPU cores, encoding audio is a good test of a computers speed (with audio encoding it is possible to 100% 8 cores of a system). Results are presented as encoding speed (combined from all CPU cores) and time taken to encode. Encoding
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Meanmotion
              • Jan 2009

Thanks Spoon.

Comment

Working...

]]>