title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Library Backup Tool

dBpoweramp Guru

Library Backup Tool

Partially stolen from Teknojnky

Archive' a library to cd/dvd. dBpoweramp burns library files and their directories to CD/DVDs and keeps a record of what track is burned to what dvd (disc id's etc). Some amount of the disc is allocated for PAR2 redundancy of the files on the disc. Also, each successive disc would store the library information, previous disc IDs, Rip Sessions, ect...

In addition, now that dBpoweramp has the power of robots behind it, you should be able to use Auto-Loaders to back up the library with this tool. This in combination with my Rip Session Tool would make it very easy for commercial rippers to provide music collections to end users on DVDs.

Recovery/import wizard:
    Should your library/files ever get lost/corrupted/crahsed, dB should allow you to insert the most recent 'archive' disc, import the library and restore any/all tracks select from the disc and all previously archived discs.
    Last edited by EliC; 02-17-2008 at 08:07 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Library Backup Tool

A better solution then PAR2:

http://www.ice-graphics.com/ICEECC/IndexE.html

dBpoweramp Guru

Nice

edit: that ice mirror looks very useful too, for backing up and/or copying files to a new drive
    Last edited by Teknojnky; 03-14-2008 at 04:57 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Another interesting tool is dvdisaster: http://dvdisaster.net/en/index.php

-brendan

dBpoweramp Guru

The important this is to be able to keep track of which files have been backed up and be able to rebuild the library later. These tools are nice, but only part of the fix. Hopefully Spoon can offer us more.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hopefully w/ R13 going final and CD Writer and Batch ripper close behind, something like this could be possible.

dBpoweramp Guru

I really feel that this is a tool the Audio community needs. There are plenty of players and ways to fill your ipod and those markets will be tough to crack. The likes of iTunes and WMP dominate the scene and MediaMonkey and foobar are left filling infor the users who do not like the major players offerings.

illustrate is setting it self apart by offering functionality they do not - namely secure ripping and great meta-data. Even the halmark of illustrates past business, audio conversion, is now done quite well by many other tools. The Library Backup Tool is something illustrate can grab that no one else is offering. A way to protect that audio library that was so carefully ripped and tagged.

Just MHOs Spoon. Keep up the great work!

dBpoweramp Guru

not sure I agree with bumping for bumping sake, even if I support the topic (or dont).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

i'm no expert but, as someone with a huge music library it seems there arent many options for safe backup, so the library backup tool sounds like a winner to me!

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    I really feel that this is a tool the Audio community needs. There are plenty of players and ways to fill your ipod and those markets will be tough to crack. The likes of iTunes and WMP dominate the scene and MediaMonkey and foobar are left filling infor the users who do not like the major players offerings.

illustrate is setting it self apart by offering functionality they do not - namely secure ripping and great meta-data. Even the halmark of illustrates past business, audio conversion, is now done quite well by many other tools. The Library Backup Tool is something illustrate can grab that no one else is offering. A way to protect that audio library that was so carefully ripped and tagged.

Just MHOs Spoon. Keep up the great work!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This isn't really audio related, but a file backup utilty. Just copy the files to an external hard drive. And use sfv or flac for checksums.

dBpoweramp Guru

its not that easy. Especially when your library spans multiple drives.

I lost hundreds of gigs once because I backed up to a FAT32 drive and windows allowed me to backup even though the file names were to long for fat32.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    I lost hundreds of gigs once because I backed up to a FAT32 drive and windows allowed me to backup even though the file names were to long for fat32.
    XXCOPY is your friend.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    XXCOPY is your friend.
    I think it copies a whole drive right? Just think there is a market for backing up media libraries.

I think a tool targeted specifically at media backup and recovery would be quite useful, and marketable. One of the features I would like to see dBpoweramp add is the ability to create a hash of each file produced by the ripper or converter, so that the integrity of the file could be verified in the future. As we spend a great deal of time ripping our collections, going to the extreme to verify the rip with AccurateRip, etc., I think we would also like to verify the integrity of the data once it has sat around for a while, or been moved between work, home, different storage, etc. Having this be a an automated feature of dBpoweramp's suite of tools would be fantastic!

dBpoweramp Guru

LazLong, I totally agree. But this tool goes one step further. It can not only check for the integrity but repair damage through the use of PAR2 or an alternative!!