title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: best brand of cd-drive for ripping

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: best brand of cd-drive for ripping

Quote Originally Posted by bhoar View Post
    No way to know other than to buy and test it out.

There isn't a useful compendium of which USB/firewire to IDE bridge chips behave adequately in terms of support for secure ripping and associated drive features (c2, cache clearing, etc.).
    Working on it!

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=16917

-brendan

Quote Originally Posted by tourrilhes View Post
    Hi,

My personal experience, with around 300 rips. I'm currently using Plextor PX-230A, a Samsung SH-S162L, a Lite-On 20A1P. I've tried quickly a Benq DW-1625, a Benq DW800A and a LG GCE-8160B.

I currently have not been able to fault the PX-230A, it just works great and its fast.

My opinion of the SH-S162L is that it is superb on scratches, maybe even better than the PX-230A, but it will give the occasional random undetected error on perfect CDs. Burst speed slower than the PX-230A, EAC secure speed about the same. It does not support lead-out, but that does not matter much as the offset is only 6.

My opinion of the 20A1P is that it's pretty good on scratches, just a notch below the other twos. But, like the SH-S162L, it it will give the occasional random undetected error on perfect CDs. Burst speed is faster than the SH-S162L, EAC secure mode twice slower. It does not support lead-out, but that does not matter much as the offset is only 6.

My opinion of the LG GCE-8160B is that it's not very good on scratches, and may give undetected errors. It was probably as fast as the SH-S162L. Newer LG may be different.

My opinion of the two Benq is that they are not very good with scratches (comparatively) and slow.

My personal opinion is that the key to accurate ripping is diversity. If the CD is not in the AccurateRip database, I rip it again on a drive from a different manufacturer and compare the CRCs (i.e. my personal AccurateRip).

Jean
    I have installed a new Plex 230 in my SATA PC. This said I am no expert on computing. I want to ‘losslessly’ rip my CD library. Am told that C2 and especially the cache on the 230 must be off in order to know whether my rips are faultless:: The question may be stupid as I can find nothing about it on the web, but how does one turn off the cache on the Plex 230?

Administrator

C2 should be on for a 230a, you need to enable cache invalidation in the program not the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    C2 should be on for a 230a, you need to enable cache invalidation in the program not the drive.
    Thanks - I suppose that means Plextools. I don’t have but I saw a post that said they are available free online. Hope they are backwards compatible as the 230 must be 5yrs old.

Administrator

Or in dbpoweramp

Hi, the drive mentioned here are mostly internal drives.
    Any recommendation for a good external drive?
    I use a notebook. After ready this forum, I wish to accurately rip my CDs collection.

Regards....Jax