title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: best brand of cd-drive for ripping

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: best brand of cd-drive for ripping

Quote Originally Posted by pls1 View Post
    Very maddening. This should be an FAQ. If I write up a FAQ on this will Lt. Data or Spoons allow it in the FAQ?
    I'd vote for that!

-brendan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by vance43211 View Post
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0275973

they have a few 15.00 ones that accept ide drives. I couldn't find the links though. you can put any hdd or cd rom in them
    Nice enclosure thanks. so let me get straight if i buy 1 the usb/fireware enclosure plus two PLEXTOR cd drives i can connect to my computer and rip two cds at the same time using the bach process right?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I use CoolGear 5.25" IDE to USB/Firewire external enclosures

http://www.coolgear.com/Category.cfm?catid=313&s=5&AZX=

I have Plextor Plexwriter, PX-230 and PX-760 drives in them. One potential issue with external USB enclosures is that with your specific computer, dbpoweramp may not be able to detect C2 over the USB connection. This is very likely to be the case with a computer whose MOBO has on-board SATA RAID controllers.

C2 over USB can also sometimes be disrupted by other media drivers (Creative and Nero). To even further muddy the waters, I could only get C2 detection over USB from the CoolGear enclosures with dbpoweramp by installing Plextools.

I never got Firewire to work detecting C2 on any of my five different machines (all desktops). There are two or three LONG threads about this issue from back in January or February.

I also use Addonics IDE to SATA adapter boards and plug dvd drives directly into the SATA MOBO or an external eSATA connection. This has provided reliable C2 detection with the DVD drives (Plextor and Samsung) but not the CD only drives.

I also tried two models of Plextor external USB/Firewire drives (708UF and 718UF). I could not get dbpoweramp to detect c2.

Very maddening. This should be an FAQ. If I write up a FAQ on this will Lt. Data or Spoons allow it in the FAQ?

Phil
    Spoon What you have to say about this... so is not safe to buy a external usb cd drive... i want to get all this with my drives using dbpoweramp 12.4

caching: YES
    Accurate Stream: YES
    C2 Error Info: YES

Administrator

That is the problem, many enclosures do not allow the 'good stuff' such as c2. The trouble with a sticky FAQ is these things get out of date very quickly.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by KOF View Post
    Nice enclosure thanks. so let me get straight if i buy 1 the usb/fireware enclosure plus two PLEXTOR cd drives i can connect to my computer and rip two cds at the same time using the batch process right?
    The answer is only probably. It depends on your MOBO and what other software you might have on your machine.

The only bullet proof way I have found to guarantee c2 detection is with a PCI bus IDE add in card and an an 80 wire IDE cable to an IDE drive set to master.

I do have four of the CoolDrive USB enclosures with PX-230 and PX-760 to an nvidia RAID MOBO but it takes Plextools to support C2 detection with dbpoweramp. it works fine for me with multiple instances of R12.

Phil

dBpoweramp Guru

The answer is only probably. It depends on your MOBO and what other software you might have on your machine.

The only bullet proof way I have found to guarantee c2 detection is with a PCI bus IDE add in card and an an 80 wire IDE cable to an IDE drive set to master.

I do have four of the CoolDrive USB enclosures with PX-230 and PX-760 to an nvidia RAID MOBO but it takes Plextools to support C2 detection with dbpoweramp. it works fine for me with multiple instances of R12.
    Phil - thought of checking to see if the third party Universal ATA drivers will address the nvidia raid chipset issue?

http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/

-brendan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

once I got the USB and eSATA working on my high performance business work stations I quit since I don't want anything really unusual on the work machines.

I have three other dedicated machines with the IDE cards or SATA interfaces.

I've stopped fiddling since after lots of wasted effort it all works and is networked.

Phil

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    That is the problem, many enclosures do not allow the 'good stuff' such as c2. The trouble with a sticky FAQ is these things get out of date very quickly.
    Ok but what about an external cd/dvd drive do i get all the good stuff?

I was also reading in cdRlabs that (708UF and 718UF) doesn't support c2 but only for those external drives - what about the other that you recommend spoon 712 uf?
    Last edited by KOF; 04-23-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Administrator

I am not sure if the 712uf would provide c2 pointers.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I am not sure if the 712uf would provide c2 pointers.
    so wich of all PLEXTOR cd/dvd (external USB/firewire) would provide everthing.

caching: YES
    Accurate Stream: YES
    C2 Error Info: YES
    FUA: yes

and others...

I have the Samsung SE-S204N which supports C2 pointers and does not cache audio. Works great.

PS. I am not willing to shell out the money for a Plextor - therefore the cheaper Samsung ($90).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Nubben:

Would you please confirm that this Samsung uses the USB interface.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

Yes, it's a USB drive.

On a separate note for Mac users: it doesn't work using VMWare Fusion - the CD's just doesn't show up in dBpa.

I have created a Bootcamp partition and it works great when booting into Win. I have yet to try using Fusion utilising the Bootcamp partition though.

Hope this helps.

Nubben

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

FUA is not used on 230a, any of the above you listed will be accepted.
    Spoon:

Below are the technical information from my drive:

Manufacturer: OEM
    CD Drive: CD-ROM F564E
    Firmware: 2.00
    Serial: BTC
    Maximum Speed: 8467 KB/sec (x47)
    Current Speed: 0 KB/sec (x0)
    Spin-down After: 8 minutes
    Buffer Size: 128 KB
    Accurate Stream: Yes
    C2 Error Pointers: Yes
    Reads ISRC: Yes
    Reads UPC: Yes

-----------------------
    Sample offset: +12
    Communication: [SCSI PASS TRHOUGH (SPT]

-----------------------

Secure Option:

Secure ripper is enabled.
    Maximun Re-Reads: 34 times
    Set Drive Speed: (Maximun)

*Drive Read Cache: (none)
    Clear Read Cache with FUA is on
    C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection is on

*When i clicked on "auto Detect icon" FUA AND C2 were the only ones that auto detect nothing for Read Cache:
    ------------------------

No here are my questions:

Is my drive configurated right?
    Do I need to put any number in the "Drive Read Cache: (none)" like you said to the other user?
    Do I need to buy a Plexter CD Drive? _ well this is an optional question..
    PC info: emachine T3085 i also have a second drive (NEC DVD_RW ND 2500A] do you think because is this a brand name cd drive do i need to chose this instead?
    I tried the Nec Drive but doesn't give me a C2 pointer, FUA, and Read Cache.

Thank you for all your help...
    Last edited by KOF; 04-25-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Administrator

It is likely that the FUA test is afalse positive, AFAIK only plextors are FUA, so I would disable that and instate a cache size.