title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best brand of cd-drive for ripping

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

best brand of cd-drive for ripping

Hi,

I was wondering what brands of cd-drives are best for using with dBpoweramp Reference's CD ripper? I have a Plextor PlexWriter Premium and it has C2 error support and also supports FUA. I have very good results with dBpoweramp.
    Is Plextor the best brand for cd-drives to use in dBpoweramp's CD Ripper or are there also other good brands (they must have C2 pointers and FUA support)?

thx

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: best brand of cd-drive for ripping

Plextor (as long as its a REAL plextor)

Administrator

The non-real Plextors (230A) is way superior to both a Premium and Premium 2 (which are REAL plextors).

dBpoweramp Guru

that is the 230 only, and only in regards to C2 support, but does not support over reading or FUA and may not support HTOA.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Plextor 760 then 230

This week I''m testing a new two step process. It is based on some of the mentions of anomalies on this board and my own C2 quality tests with Plex-tools ProXL on damaged audio discs.

Since many of my discs are not in accurate rip or I get an all but one cut match but one -cut secure with no match I'm trying PX-760s first, with re-rip of anything suspicious by PX-230. I got a carton of each Plextor Model, all new, from a local OEM liquidator.

I'm re building my two dedicated IDE machines with one drive each and will re-rip about 50 discs from my first test run of 500 that may be suspicious. I'll report back on the end of the week.

Phil

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The non-real Plextors (230A) is way superior to both a Premium and Premium 2 (which are REAL plextors).
    How can you see it's better ? What things will you notice in dbpoweramp with better drives or how do you see that?

What is it about real or not? I have plextor box it was put in, so i guess it's real. What do you mean by not real plextor? If you buy it in store and it has plextor box, it can be fake? :s I don't understand.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    that is the 230 only, and only in regards to C2 support, but does not support over reading or FUA and may not support HTOA.
    So there are 'levels' of c2 support ?
    if a drive has c2 support it doesn't mean it's identical to another drive's c2 support?

thx

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Can Spoon confirm if Plextor drives (and also the PX-230) are the best choice? I would like to hear also the opinion of the developer

thx!

Administrator

C2 support varies between drive models, some good some bad. I wouldn't say the c2 of 230a was the best, the drive is very good at reading through sratches. By saying it is a non-real plextor that means the drive internals are not Plextor design, but from another CD drive.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

C2 support varies between drive models, some good some bad.
    Let's say I buy a new cd-drive, is there a way to find out, as dbpoweramp user, how good the c2 support is? I don't really understand how you can see this.

By saying it is a non-real plextor that means the drive internals are not Plextor design, but from another CD drive.
    So the 230a is sold by plextor and has 'plextor' brand but actually plextor uses components from other manufacturers to make this drive?

thx

dBpoweramp Guru

The 230a is made by another company and the plextor label is applied.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    The 230a is made by another company and the plextor label is applied.
    In addition, Plextor modified (or had modified for them) the firmware (low-level software that runs on the drive hardware). Whether that modification simply rebadged the drive or also included functional changes, who knows...

-brendan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

is that 230a still in stores or is it a n old drive?

thx

Administrator

All good Plextor models (230a & 7xx have been discontinued) so grab them while the few stores have them, Premium2 is in most stores, but ct magazine tested it and it came out worse than average for reading audio.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

All good Plextor models (230a & 7xx have been discontinued) so grab them while the few stores have them,
    Do you have an idea why they make worse drives for audio extraction now instead of making progress? :s

Premium2 is in most stores, but ct magazine tested it and it came out worse than average for reading audio.
    What is your experience with the Premium1 for reading audio?