title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping from a Network CD Drive - How?

Ripping from a Network CD Drive - How?

I need to rip CD's from a mapped network drive using the Reference 12.4 version of the software

The CD Ripper software only shows local drives and not the mapped drive - how can I fix this?

Any suggestions gratefully received thank you

Best wishes
    Nigel

Re: Ripping from a Network CD Drive - How?

I'm fairly certain there isn't way to do this from a network CD drive, as dMC expects to send commands directly to the CD drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

ISCSI, maybe?

Thank you for your replies

The tone of the replies implies that what I want to do is not possible the way I have described it. Here is the bigger picture:

I have a 10-year old IBM Intellistation MPro with dual Pentium III 550's and 1Tb of hard disk space and 2 DVD drives - one from LG and one from Plextor. Amazingly, this computer is often faster than laptops purchased in the last 2 years!

This is where all the ripped CD's are stored and then a SqueezeBox distributes the music via Ethernet to the Stereo system

I wish for this MPro to be hidden in a cupboard as a file server (it is noisy and takes up space) - thus its DVD drives are not in front of me and I do not wish to jump up and walk to another room to change the CD that has just been ripped

I do not wish to install dbPowerAmp on my laptop that has a DVD drive - this laptop is on the desk in front of me - I like to have as few programs on each PC as possible to avoid the various subtle and obtuse interaction problems that often occur between programs

I wish to and can control the MPro remotely using Windows' Remote Desktop

Thus, my original idea of using Remote Desktop to run dbPowerAmp on the MPro while feeding CD's to rip into the laptop in fromt of me

To summarize:
    I want a remote computer to rip the CD's without me having to feed in the Albums

Is there another way to do what I wish?

Best wishes
    Nigel

dBpoweramp Guru

Tried to share the dBpoweramp folder? Edit: Not sure if license permits it though.
    Last edited by Porcus; 08-29-2008 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    Tried to share the dBpoweramp folder? Edit: Not sure if license permits it though.
    I am happy to buy a second licence if your suggestion works and at the moment I do not understand your suggestion :(

How would sharing the folder help?

Best wishes
    Nigel

Administrator

You could install a OS which allowed something like remote desktop, CD Ripper needs a local CD drive to send the ripping commands to.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NPendrigh View Post
    How would sharing the folder help?
    Try the following:

1) Set up Server and Laptop in a windows network, with Server as ... eh, server.
    2) On the Server, right-click the dBpoweramp folder (the folder where you have installed it, a subfolder of "Program Files" or whatever) and select to share the folder on the network.
    3) On Laptop, look up this folder in My Computer (it might be that you want to map it to a drive letter).
    4) Open the folder and click cdgrab.exe

Maybe it will then refer to a local drive on Laptop.

Thank you Porcus - I followed your instrructions and they worked

I could use the local CD-ROM while running the program from the remote machine

Unfortunately, AccurateRip does not access the Internet - with its obvious disadvantages :(