title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to remove Track Gain from MP3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to remove Track Gain from MP3

I have an MP3 file with a Track Gain (dBpoweramp tag viewer shows me Track Gain: +1.00 dB).

I want to remove this Track Gain but when I edit the tags with dBpoweramp, I cannot see any Track Gain tag...

How can I remove this track gain from the file?

Thank you!

Re: How to remove Track Gain from MP3

I believe that the track gain element only shows up if the ReplayGain dsp effect is applied to write ReplayGain info to the tag. This means that the gain is not applied to the track except at the time that the track is played back and then only if the ReplayGain elements from the tag can be read by the player. But there may be situations in which the ReplayGain information on the tag might cause problems for the playback of the track in non-ReplayGain compatable players.

In any case, you should be able to remove the ReplayGain tag information from the tag by using the ID Tag Processing DSP to remove the track gain information (in my trial case I removed both the replay track gain and replay track peak.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Bill
    Last edited by xoas; 02-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xoas View Post
    I believe that the track gain element only shows up if the ReplayGain dsp effect is applied to write ReplayGain info to the tag. This means that the gain is not applied to the track except at the time that the track is played back and then only if the ReplayGain elements from the tag can be read by the player. But there may be situations in which the ReplayGain information on the tag might cause problems for the playback of the track in non-ReplayGain compatable players.

In any case, you should be able to remove the ReplayGain tag information from the tag by using the ID Tag Processing DSP to remove the track gain information (in my trial case I removed both the replay track gain and replay track peak.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Bill
    There is no ReplayGain tag, that's the problem: I tried to remove all tags with ID Tag Processing DSP and dBpoweramp still shows me "Track gain: +1.00db"

Do you know how the gain was applied in the first place?

If it was applied through dMC's ReplayGain dsp the tag label would be Replay Track Gain.
    I presume that if ReplayGain was applied through nother source that it would also be labelled the same way.

If gain was applied through Mp3Gain it would be labelled as such (there would be tag elements labelled MP3GAIN MINMAX and MP3GAIN UNDO). In this case you would have to use MP3Gain to undo the gain and to remove the tag information.

If the gain was applied through some other program, I am not sure about whether it can be removed or not. For example, if you applied gain while ripping using a volume normalization function and it shows up in the tag information (I have not seen this occur with the use of the volume normalization dsp in Music COnverter), I woould seriously doubt that you can cleanly and easily remove the gain but if we knew where the gain came from it someone might have an idea.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Administrator

It might be set in the Lame header not ID3 tag.

Erm, just to add.. in atleast LAME 3.97 b1 (and I assume, LAME 3.97) Track Gain is calculated and written to LAME's header by Default. However, this track gain is NOT applied in any way whatsoever.

Just thought I'd give this reply here, since google found me this thread.