title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove Track Gain from MP3

How to remove Track Gain from MP3

I have an MP3 file with a Track Gain (dBpoweramp tag viewer shows me Track Gain: +1.00 dB).

I want to remove this Track Gain but when I edit the tags with dBpoweramp, I cannot see any Track Gain tag...

How can I remove this track gain from the file?

Thank you!

Re: How to remove Track Gain from MP3

I believe that the track gain element only shows up if the ReplayGain dsp effect is applied to write ReplayGain info to the tag. This means that the gain is not applied to the track except at the time that the track is played back and then only if the ReplayGain elements from the tag can be read by the player. But there may be situations in which the ReplayGain information on the tag might cause problems for the playback of the track in non-ReplayGain compatable players.

In any case, you should be able to remove the ReplayGain tag information from the tag by using the ID Tag Processing DSP to remove the track gain information (in my trial case I removed both the replay track gain and replay track peak.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Bill
    Last edited by xoas; 02-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xoas View Post
    I believe that the track gain element only shows up if the ReplayGain dsp effect is applied to write ReplayGain info to the tag. This means that the gain is not applied to the track except at the time that the track is played back and then only if the ReplayGain elements from the tag can be read by the player. But there may be situations in which the ReplayGain information on the tag might cause problems for the playback of the track in non-ReplayGain compatable players.

In any case, you should be able to remove the ReplayGain tag information from the tag by using the ID Tag Processing DSP to remove the track gain information (in my trial case I removed both the replay track gain and replay track peak.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Bill
    There is no ReplayGain tag, that's the problem: I tried to remove all tags with ID Tag Processing DSP and dBpoweramp still shows me "Track gain: +1.00db"

Do you know how the gain was applied in the first place?

If it was applied through dMC's ReplayGain dsp the tag label would be Replay Track Gain.
    I presume that if ReplayGain was applied through nother source that it would also be labelled the same way.

If gain was applied through Mp3Gain it would be labelled as such (there would be tag elements labelled MP3GAIN MINMAX and MP3GAIN UNDO). In this case you would have to use MP3Gain to undo the gain and to remove the tag information.

If the gain was applied through some other program, I am not sure about whether it can be removed or not. For example, if you applied gain while ripping using a volume normalization function and it shows up in the tag information (I have not seen this occur with the use of the volume normalization dsp in Music COnverter), I woould seriously doubt that you can cleanly and easily remove the gain but if we knew where the gain came from it someone might have an idea.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Administrator

It might be set in the Lame header not ID3 tag.

Erm, just to add.. in atleast LAME 3.97 b1 (and I assume, LAME 3.97) Track Gain is calculated and written to LAME's header by Default. However, this track gain is NOT applied in any way whatsoever.

Just thought I'd give this reply here, since google found me this thread.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I know I'm reviving a very old thread here, but it's right on target for me.

I'm finally going through my Archived Music Collection which has a lot of very old MP3 files that cause errors when re-processed. They play ok, but have errors in their headers (and sometimes [but rarely] with corrupted tags).

I've had no problems fixing all errors except for the "replaygain_track_gain" header Info, which dBpoweramp "Edit ID-Tag" displays. I want to get rid of that message.

I understand that these old tracks have most likely been "ReplayGain'ed" in volume permanently in the encoding, but I don't care about that. I want to simply remove all the info about it. I'd also rather not get into any debates about "Re-gaining" either.

I normally Volume Normalize when I convert from my originals which are mostly FLAC files into disposable MP3 files. I just want to edit these older "original" MP3 files without having to re-encode, and these will be saved as my new originals. I know that sounds weird, but I'd rather have so-called "originals" that don't have header/tag errors.

Then I'll be able to re-convert cleanly without getting any conversion error messages.

I've had to resort to using Hex Edit to chop out the stupid Regain header info, but it takes a lot of time for each individual one, and requires very delicate editing.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum might know of a program or App that will easily (and in a batch process) remove the "ReplayGain info" from the headers, and perhaps (but not so essentially) fix any obvious metadata tag corruptions).

Note: This is not the same as just deleting the "Tag" ReplayGain info. I can do that easily. It's the info in the "headers" that is persistently refusing to be deleted.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-14-2020 at 03:24 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Aha. I tried foobar2000, because lots of folks recommended it for being able to remove the header info for MP3 files, and it appeared to do the process, but it still didn't remove the info for me.

Anyway, using Hex Edit I found the "1 byte" that needs nulling out, to stop the messages about ReplayGain.

So, I guess I'll have to get to work writing a small script to null that 1 byte from those troublesome MP3 files. *urgh* I wanted to avoid that. Of course it's not located in a static position in the files. ie. It's very rarely in exactly the same place. The header info is so variable. It's gonna take some work! :/

EDIT: Hmmm. Unfortunately No, it's not so simple like I had hoped. It had just messed with the frame values so that the Tag editors would ignore it. It will take a quite a bit more playing around. :/
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-14-2020 at 04:38 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

As it turns out, it was actually 2 bytes that held the "replaygain_track_gain" setting. Once those were nullified, the tag no longer appears. All good. It doesn't affect any other readings now either and the MP3 status seems perfectly healthy according to MP3 Diags. Also, Mediainfo now reports everything to be exactly the same as the original MP3 file.

* A Note to anyone else using Foobar2000 to modify the MP3 header via the "Right-click on the file" method using "Utilities--Fix VBR MP3 header..."

This will change the header for non-VBR CBR encoded files to report incorrectly that they are VBR encoded, when they were actually CBR encoded, so beware of doing it that way, even though it does successfully suppress the tag from appearing.

Now I just have to figure out how to do the scripting, to overwrite those 2 bytes automatically when I'm batch converting. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-14-2020 at 07:44 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Dropbear,

just for my understanding: why don't you use the "ID Tag Update" dsp, which is capable to delete tags without re-encoding the audio file?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Dropbear,

just for my understanding: why don't you use the "ID Tag Update" dsp, which is capable to delete tags without re-encoding the audio file?

Dat Ei
    Hi Dat Ei. Thanks. I tried that, but as I explained in my first post, it's not actually a "Tag" as such that needs removing. It's part of the MP3 internal header structure, that needs to be modified slightly. Trust me, I tried, and I've learnt a lot (too much!) about the internal structure of MP3s ! dBpoweramp and other MP3 Tag readers simply read this header info and report the ReplayGain setting that was stored.

It's not stored as a normal tag though. I wish it was. It "appears" as a Tag, when you use the "Edit ID Tags" Right-click on an Mp3 file, but it's impossible to delete it, even if you clear all the Tags, when you retry, it'll still be there.

These are very old MP3s, and years ago people were crazy enough to use a "Hard-encoded" type of Volume Normalizing which actually modified the audio data, rather than just add some Tags as is mostly done nowadays. Non-destructive methods make much more sense, as the audio data is not changed at all.

I tried a gazillion and 1 one different Tag Editors, but to no avail.

Finally, a few minutes ago, with much trial and error, I narrowed the actual bytes down that need nullifying. Anyway it all works now, (apart from working out how to automate the changes) so I'm happy.

Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Here's one of the offending MP3s:

Code:
    https://filedn.com/lpAitngRCcFH75pd2wHnfJQ/Public-Media/Alex%20Davis%20-%20Lullaby%20of%20The%20Third%20Horizon%20(using%20Sample%20Logic's%20Morphestra).mp3
    You should be able to download (on a pc) from the "..." shown on the player that will appear when you go to that URL.

I won't post it here as a direct clickable link, otherwise we'll have to wait until the link is mod approved.

The object (ok it's a challenge now!) is... to not have the "Pseudo" Tag "replaygain_track_gain -5.90 dB " appear in the dBpoweramp Right-click "Edit ID-Tag" popup.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-14-2020 at 09:33 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

oops. This will be a bit of a duplicate post. I edited the previous post (currently invisible) and added h t t p s to the link, forgetting that it would then need mod approval. D'oh!

So in the meantime... here it is again....

Code:
    filedn.com/lpAitngRCcFH75pd2wHnfJQ/Public-Media/Alex%20Davis%20-%20Lullaby%20of%20The%20Third%20Horizon%20(using%20Sample%20Logic's%20Morphestra).mp3
    Copy & paste the link to your browser, and then...

Click the "..." in the player that appears, to download the mp3 file.

I challenge you all to get rid of the "replaygain_track_gain -5.90 dB " pseudo-tag that appears when you Right-click the file using "Edit ID-Tag". Good Luck!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

See this image: s01.geekpic.net/di-D9CWUP.png (You'll have to cut & paste it, as otherwise once again it'll need mod-approval).

The attached image clickable below will probably show up as way too small. (What's up with these forum images not being able to be enlarged?! ) :/

I've highlighted the 2 bytes that need nullifying to 00 00 to fix my issue.

If anyone knows how that can be done with a script somehow, please let me know. Unfortunately, it's in a highly transient part of the header and any Tag changes will move it's position, so it's position needs to be carefully plotted, with some good MP3 knowledge. You cannot just assume it will be in a certain fixed position in the file, and of course almost every single MP3 file will have it in a different location, because of all the differing Tag/header info.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-14-2020 at 10:39 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok. I've found the magic command to use with the Video Converter. I also realise now that I'd be better off using the Music Converter to do most of the MP3 conversions, as it obviously uses the LAME encoder, which is far faster than if FFmpeg tries to do the encoding. I still need to use both converters because the music videos still need their cover art processed through, which the Music Converter won't do.

If I add the command -write_xing 0 to the Custom Command, it removes the ReplayGain header info. That solves that problem. I'm slowly getting there, wherever that may be. I'm too tired now to think much else about it now, but it's a work in progress, and I'm learning heaps!