title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Another CD/CD drive problem

Another CD/CD drive problem

Hi,

New user, new poster, having some difficulty.

I've installed version 12.4 (trial version) on a machine running XP. When I load the CD ripper, I get a screen with a message saying "load audio CD" in the top left corner, together with a box saying "insert audio CD into:" with a drop-down box with two options, which are my (correctly identified) CD and DVD drives.

So it seems as though the program recognises my drives, but doesn't recognise there's a CD in there. Other programs will play the CD OK.

I've tried the advice on related threads, and my options are set to the Windows internal choice that seemed to work for some other people.

I've tried loading the program with a CD in the drive and without, uninstalling and reinstalling. I'm really not sure where to go from here.

Other info which might be relevant: the program is installed on an F drive, not the C drive. Would this make any difference? Other programs on the F drive work fine.

I've also had a parallel problem with EAC, where it doesn't recognise that there is a disk in the drive. I tried the advice on this thread about copying a dll file into the same directory. Again it seemed to work for others, but not me.

I'm a medium level computer user, definitely not a techie, and a complete beginner with this program.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Re: Another CD/CD drive problem

What version of Windows are you running? Running as an admin? Have you tried SCSI Pass-Through and ASPI?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    What version of Windows are you running? Running as an admin? Have you tried SCSI Pass-Through and ASPI?
    XP, and it's set up to run as an admin all the time.

Tried SCSI, and it said reading disk, then went back to the "insert disk" state.

With ASPI, the option that comes up is ASPI (Ahead Nero). Could there be a proble with having Nero installed? The ASPI option doesn't do the "reading disk" thing, and doesn't recognise the disk.

Putting the program on the F: drive shouldn't affect anything. My system has dMC on the E: drive.

You said EAC also won't recognize the CD? What programs will read the CD?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    What programs will read the CD?
    iTunes, Windows Media Player, Realplayer will recognise and play the CD. But I've just found that Nero and Ashampoo aren't recognising the CD or DVD drives, either.

It sounds like a problem with Windows if only some programs are recognizing the CDs and other aren't.

OK, thanks. The search goes on...

Seem to have found a solution, which works for the DVD drive but not the CD drive, but is enough to get me going.

What worked for me on this thread was this advice:

Ho-Lin-Sok

Go to start/programs/administrative tools/Services. Expand the page and look for:-
    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service. Look under startup type. If it's disabled right click and then click properties. You can change to Automatic.

I changed to automatic, and it now reads the drive.