title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drive Read Cache: weird thing

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Drive Read Cache: weird thing

Quote Originally Posted by bhoar
    The conversation about SPTD might be a red herring, but I though it might be useful to clarify a few things.

1. SPTI and SPTD are two different things. The first, SPTI, is part of the windows calling interface, and the contemporary "best" way to directly interact with devices at a low level. The latter, SPTD, is a 3rd party interface installed by several different products, but not by dbpoweramp. It is the latter that can sometimes cause problems with ripping software.

2. The link in a post above to the duplexsecure site gives instructions on how to either disable or uninstall SPTD. Follow these if you suspect STPD is installed and suspect it might be interfering with device operations in non-STPD applications. Note that this might break the software that uses STPD (if installed) such as virtual drive, dvd ripping and game-disc freeing software.

-brendan
    So is it true dbpoweramp uses SPTI? Because in the 'communication' option in dbpoweramp you can see 'SCSI Pass Through (SPT)'.

But still my same question is not really answered: I have reformatted my whole hard drive and reinstalled windows. The only application that I installed into that new windows installation is dbpoweramp reference 12.3 trial.
    So there is certainly no SPTD driver installed, because I didn't install any other application yet.
    But, however, the cache of my CD drive is still not detected in dbpoweramp.

So I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I used dbpoweramp reference 12.1 and 12.2 reference trial in the past and those versions both did detect the cache of my cd drive. Also the new version 12.4 doesn't detect the cache.

Can somebody please tell me what could be the problem and how to fix it?

thx in advance!!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Drive Read Cache: weird thing

hi,

the problem is solved!

I want to tell to the developers of dbpoweramp adding this thing below is maybe a good idea.

So I had enabled 'clear read cache with FUA' first.
    So trying to detect the drive read cache when this option is enabled, of course gives always the result there is no cache detected.
    But dbpoweramp gives no information that enabling this option also will affect the drive read cache detection. So I thought it only disabled the read cache when ripping, but it also disables it when trying to detect the read cache in the options window.

So maybe the drive read cache detection should be disabled if 'clear read cache with FUA' is enabled to prevent that problem I had now. And if you disable 'clear read cache with FUA' again, the drive read cache detecting should be enabled again.

thx
    Last edited by Dude; 01-04-2008 at 10:40 AM.