title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Drive Read Cache: weird thing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dude
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2007

Drive Read Cache: weird thing

Hi,

I used dbpoweramp reference 12.1 and 12.2 trial versions some time ago and when detecting in "secure options" the Drive Read Cache, dbpoweramp detected a cache in both versions.

Now some time later, I installed dbpoweramp reference 12.3 trial and when detecting the drive read cache on exactly the same drive, computer and operating system (nothing has changed to the configuration of the computer), dbpoweramp says the drive doesn't have a cache at all.

So now my question is: how is it possible the older versions detect a cache and the new version doesn't detect a cache at all?

ps: the drive is a plextor plexwriter premium

thx in advance
  • Tigerman
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2005

Re: Drive Read Cache: weird thing

In the beginning I had a simular problem with my plextor 760A.DBpoweramp said it didn´t cache.
    The problem was an old version of Deamon virtual drive. The SPTD-driver was preventing a correct reading.
    There´s a new SPTD-driver without this problem.
    Don´t know if this is your problem also, I´m just pointing to a possible cause.

Comment

• Dude
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Mar 2007

hi,

I saw I can choose SPTD or ASPI driver. Can somebody tell me which is the default choice for dbpoweramp? Now SPTD is chosen .

thx

Comment

• exec
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2007

SPTD is default.

Comment

• Dude
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Tigerman
          In the beginning I had a simular problem with my plextor 760A.DBpoweramp said it didn´t cache.
          The problem was an old version of Deamon virtual drive. The SPTD-driver was preventing a correct reading.
          There´s a new SPTD-driver without this problem.
          Don´t know if this is your problem also, I´m just pointing to a possible cause.
          But I don't understand what Deamon tools has to do with dbpoweramp.
          Can somebody explain please?

thx

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dude
            But I don't understand what Deamon tools has to do with dbpoweramp.
            Can somebody explain please?
            Daemon tools, just like most virtual optical drive packages, installs "filter drivers" into the driver stack so as to be able to intercept low-level device calls in such a way as to present virtual devices on the system. The problem is that sometimes these intercepts are still executed on real devices and, in addition, sometimes the intercepts don't properly pass on the original call (or the device's returned data) correctly, causing problems. In addition, the intercepts can adversely effect transactions that are timing sensitive, such as optical drive feature testing (cache/c2), etc.

-brendan

Comment

• Dude
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bhoar
              Daemon tools, just like most virtual optical drive packages, installs "filter drivers" into the driver stack so as to be able to intercept low-level device calls in such a way as to present virtual devices on the system. The problem is that sometimes these intercepts are still executed on real devices and, in addition, sometimes the intercepts don't properly pass on the original call (or the device's returned data) correctly, causing problems. In addition, the intercepts can adversely effect transactions that are timing sensitive, such as optical drive feature testing (cache/c2), etc.

-brendan
              Ok, I understand it now. But when I used versions 12.1 and 12.2, the same deamon tools version was installed and it never was uninstalled.
              So why does version 12.3 has problems with it and the older version don't?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

The cache detection routines have not changed from R12.1 to R12.3
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dude
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                  The cache detection routines have not changed from R12.1 to R12.3
                  Do you have an idea what could be the problem, because whatever cd I use, it keeps telling there's no cache , while the older versions detected a cache.

thx

Comment

• Tigerman
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2005

Have you tried to replace the SPTD-driver?
                    You can disable it first to see if it is the cause, see second question at this page: http://www.duplexsecure.com/faq/

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Even if an audio player was playing in the background, that could cause the detection to fail, it is that critical on timing.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dude
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                        Even if an audio player was playing in the background, that could cause the detection to fail, it is that critical on timing.
                        But there is nothing running at all (no audio player, ...) in the background.
                        There is still no cache detected. Any other things I can try?

Comment

• Dude
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Tigerman
                          Have you tried to replace the SPTD-driver?
                          How can I replace this driver? I don't know anything about how to do this.

Can you tell me if the SPTD-driver is installed on my pc when installing dbpoweramp or what program has installed this driver on my pc?
                          I now reformatted my whole hard drive and reinstalled windows, but the SPTD driver is found in dbpoweramp without installing *any* other application on my pc and still no cache is detected in dbpoweramp. So is the SPTD-driver a part of windows itself then?

thx
                          Last edited by Dude; 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• bhoar
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2006

The conversation about SPTD might be a red herring, but I though it might be useful to clarify a few things.

1. SPTI and SPTD are two different things. The first, SPTI, is part of the windows calling interface, and the contemporary "best" way to directly interact with devices at a low level. The latter, SPTD, is a 3rd party interface installed by several different products, but not by dbpoweramp. It is the latter that can sometimes cause problems with ripping software.

2. The link in a post above to the duplexsecure site gives instructions on how to either disable or uninstall SPTD. Follow these if you suspect STPD is installed and suspect it might be interfering with device operations in non-STPD applications. Note that this might break the software that uses STPD (if installed) such as virtual drive, dvd ripping and game-disc freeing software.

-brendan

Comment

• Tigerman
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Mar 2005

Sometimes I wonder why I write a second line in a post. It seems only the first line is read...

Comment

Working...

]]>