title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Accurate Rip Test #1

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Send your physical address to dbpoweramp@dbpoweramp.com I will make sure a recognisable disc arrives in the post.

Comment

• mmortal03
      • Jan 2003

Question about the database, is this using crc values, or something else? The reason I ask is because even with the correct offset, depending on ones drive, the first and last tracks can have different crc values depending on the drive capability to read into the pregap and the leadout...btw, I have not found one of my discs yet on the list that match, but I have used the offsets for one of my drives off of SatCP's list to create a test cd in EAC, and then I used this disc to test another one of my drives to verify the separate read and write offsets, and these also concurred with his list. I am completely confident because of this that these offsets are 100 percent correct. Is there any other way you canset up to allow contributions to the database, because I am VERY interested.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Sorry no, even if you are 100% sure, it just takes 1 drive with the wrong offset to polute the database (others base their offset on yours).

>the first and last tracks can have different crc values depending on the drive capability to read into the pregap and the leadout

Is it both first and last? or just last?

an audio disk should have TOC - [pre gap] - track 1 and most drives that are not accurate stream will probabbly read part of the pre gap anyhow.

Send your address above and I will see you get a CD.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mmortal03
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Spoon
          Sorry no, even if you are 100% sure, it just takes 1 drive with the wrong offset to polute the database (others base their offset on yours).

>the first and last tracks can have different crc values depending on the drive capability to read into the pregap and the leadout

Is it both first and last? or just last?

an audio disk should have TOC - [pre gap] - track 1 and most drives that are not accurate stream will probabbly read part of the pre gap anyhow.

Send your address above and I will see you get a CD.

Ok, I understand your concern, and that is fine with me....Yes, it can happen both ways, depending on how great your offset is negative or positive, the more the possibility that you are losing samples. The more your read offset is negative (drive read shifted left) WITHOUT being able to read into the leadout, the more chance you will lose samples at the end, which will then affect the crc value. The more your read offset is positive (drive read shifted right) WITHOUT being able to read into the pregap, the more chance you will lose samples at the beginning, which will again affect the crc value. My drive, for instance, has a negative offset, and though there is still a posibility of losing samples past that value at the beginning, these should only be from incorrectly hidden or badly pressed albums. For all intent and purposes, I shouldn't lose any samples from the beginning of a cd with a negative offset because it already reads too soon. Often, the audio that is cut off makes no difference because ones offset value is small enough that all they are losing is digital silence, and when this digital silence is filled in by the ripper with digital silience, it makes no difference. But, I DO have a couple albums that produce different crc's for the last track, which tells me that the drive that I have that has a greater negative offset is cutting off something that isn't digital silence..heck, there is a possibility that BOTH are, unless I have a drive that can read into the leadout, there is no way for me to know...Thankfully, my LiteOn drive has such a small offset value anyway, I don't have to really concern myself of this, and frankly, what is lost is nothing important (milliseconds). What you could do I guess is not pay attention to the crc values of the first and last tracks and just make this known to people. For people who CAN read into one or the other, you could use this as a reference, and you could simply explain this problem to the users in a FAQ of some sorts. I guess the database could be split, allowing perfectionists to only pull from verified read pregaps and leadouts, and for everyone else, simply verify from the middle tracks. I will also bet that you will get a good majority of submissions that have equal crc values for the first and last tracks as well, so regardless of whether or not it is a 100 percent perfect rip, with offsets in mind, the user could still feel confident that what he got is the best possible.

Edit, I got confused with positives and negatives, but I think I sorted it out...
          Last edited by mmortal03; 01-19-2003, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• hiperpinguino
            • May 2002

Interesting, the AccurateRipUpload.bin is not listed in the explorer view of the folder but it does appear when I search for it... anyway, I've sent it off now, so you will soon be able to add Audioslave to your list. Nice idea, by the way - it will be fun to watch it grow.

Comment

• hiperpinguino
              • May 2002

Minor semi-bug alert:

When using any filename creation pattern that auto-creates folders based on Artist, Album, etc., the folders will still be created when using the non-write test option, leaving some garbage to clean off the hard drive afterwards. It's really rather unimportant, but annoying nonetheless.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Update:

Now results are coming back one hiccup was found - that is one disc entered the database ripped with the wrong offset, I am still unsure why it happened, I suspect a CD drive threw a wobbler and was 1/4 of a CD sector out (it had ripped 100's correctly). Anyhow, such an entry could polute the database if others found their offsets of this disc. So the rules of the system have been changed to only recognise discs for offset detection with a Confidence of two or more. What this means is, the database will take longer to populate, so I am going to help it out a little.

Anyone who has more than 100 discs to add to accuraterip, I am willing to send out a CD (I have plenty of classical CDs I don't want), email me dbpoweramp@dbpoweramp.com
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

When will it be possible to download an updated cd database? I would like to able to add to the database, but I don't have over 100 cd's. If somebody has put any Metallica cd's into the database, then I could start .

Jordan

Comment

• Unregistered

yeah get some metallica u know i got a good 150 albums that i can re rip seeing im changing all my mp3s to atrac3

so i can help i u get some : metallica, limpbizkit, deep purple, led zepline, rainbow, wishbone ash, tool, offspring, korn, system of a down..etc

Comment

• Unregistered

i have 1 album on that list and its my brothers and if it were up to me i'll break it into so small a pices u couldn't see them wif an electron microscope....

get some better music on that list

Comment

• Unregistered

i run into a prob...

i was doing the test rip of jimmy barns soul deeper and it doesn't want to seem to rip the first track it comes up with an error. all of the other tracks rip fine and are corect. when i play the first song in winamp trying both digital and anolog reading to see if there was any errors and i couldn't hear any. so should i still send in my bin file? and what could b causing this problem?

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Did something appear offering to find the offset? and did it find an offset.

You could have a drive that does not allow 1 sector to be read before the first sector, and if you have a drive with a - offset then it needs to do this for the first track. No big problem, just means on yours AccurateRip will not be able to read the first track.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Forgot to ask, the error was it one saying could not rip at all the first track, or was it that the track was unaccurately ripped?

You can send me the bin file, no problem.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Bea Closed - moved onto Accurate Rip Test #2
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>