title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Rip status -- Accurate, Secure, etc.

Rip status -- Accurate, Secure, etc.

Hi all, is there a good place to read up on what all the different "rip status" values mean?

I've been trying some test rips, with varying results.

For example, sometimes I get all Accurate, sometimes I get all Secure with a check, sometimes I get some Secure with a plus.

I had been thinking that: 1) Accurate meant my rip matched a checksum, 2) Secure with a check meant that there wasn't a checksum match, but the rip appeared good, and 3) Secure without a check meant potential problems.

However, I'm listening to a CD that ripped as Secure with a check, and I hear lots of little pops.

If your rip results aren't Accurate, what do you do?

thanks, -Scott

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Rip status -- Accurate, Secure, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by turnstyle

If your rip results aren't Accurate, what do you do?
    Re-rip in a second drive, different model, and see if CRCs match.

Re-rip in a second drive, different model, and see if CRCs match.
    But what if the second does the same?

And some CDs won't be in Accurate -- when I see Secure with a check, that doesn't mean that I can trust it to be a solidly good rip?

Also, I guess I don't understand the status results -- what does the check next to Secure mean, as opposed to a plus? And all those numbers?

Is there a page that explains all this and likewise how I should confugre db to get the best rips?

thanks again, -Scott

dBpoweramp Guru

when I see Secure with a check, that doesn't mean that I can trust it to be a solidly good rip?
    Not 100%. It is possible to have consistent errors, and a different drive may read the disc differently and pick up the errors or give confirmation that the CRCs match.

The only way to know 100% is to have 2 different copies ripped in 2 different drives, and thats basically what accuraterip does.

Sorry to keep asking the same question, but what does a check next to Secure mean, vs. a plus? And what do all the numbers mean? (I just want to be sure I know how to read it when I'm ripping)

Also, can you perhaps help me make sure that my ripping settings are what they should be?

1) Secure Enabled

2) Drive speed maximum (I can't seem to change it anyway)

3) Ultra Secure Enabled // minimum passes 3, maximum passes 6, end after 2

? Should I check "vary drive speed after each pass" ?

4) maximum rereads - 34

5) C2 is checked on (the test seemed to ok it)

? Interpolate? what's right here ?

Is that all right so far? Anything I'm missing?

thanks! -Scott

Sorry, two more settings:

1) sample offset is +667 -- should I "reset to zero"?

2) should I check "read into lead-in or lead-out"?

thanks. :blush:

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry to keep asking the same question, but what does a check next to Secure mean, vs. a plus? And what do all the numbers mean? (I just want to be sure I know how to read it when I'm ripping)
    there is a guide to what the different results mean in the help files installed with dBpoweramp

Also, can you perhaps help me make sure that my ripping settings are what they should be?

1) Secure Enabled
    ok

2) Drive speed maximum (I can't seem to change it anyway)
    ok

3) Ultra Secure Enabled // minimum passes 3, maximum passes 6, end after 2
    ok

? Should I check "vary drive speed after each pass" ?
    i do, but I dont know if anyone can say what is best, even for any specific drive

4) maximum rereads - 34
    pretty high. Increasing the number will increase the chance of getting a bad rip and not knowing it, decreasing the number will increase the chance that you are unable to rip but will decrease the chance that an error does not occur without you knowing it.

5) C2 is checked on (the test seemed to ok it)
    ok

? Interpolate? what's right here ?
    no, do not check this if you really want accuraterips, though it will hide most pops and clicks if you just want it to sound ok

6) sample offset is +667 -- should I "reset to zero"?
    this is set by accuraterip, do not change it or you will not be able to use accuraterip

7) should I check "read into lead-in or lead-out"?
    do you have a plextor? if not, odds are your drive cannot read into lead in or out so do not check it.

Thanks -- but if Interpolate hides the pops isn't that better than not hiding them?

Also, with C2 on, I seem to get many"Insecure" tracks that otherwise show up as "Secure" with C2 off.

dBpoweramp Guru

It depends on your goals. If you want accurate, then interpolation is not good, if you want ok sound, interpolation may work ok.

C2 is identifying more potential problems that are not seen with it off.

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    It depends on your goals. If you want accurate, then interpolation is not good, if you want ok sound, interpolation may work ok.
    But if it is inaccurate in bother cases, why would somebody prefer an "inaccurate click" over an "inaccurate interpolation" -- it seems like if there's going to be an error, it may as well be subtle -- am I misunderstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    C2 is identifying more potential problems that are not seen with it off.
    Do you know what "Insecure" means? Because, to me, it certainly "looks" nicer when I get "Secure" (with C2 off) as compared to "Insecure" (with C2 on).

btw, the guide talks about different settings if your drive "supports C2 well" -- do you happen to know how to determine that?

dBpoweramp Guru

My personal preference if a rip is inaccurate is to try to repair the disc or possibly find a second copy. My personal OCD is to not have any inaccurate rips in my collection.

Brother, I share your OCD!

(In fact, I suspect that most folks who find themselves here do too!

But I'm not going to buy new CDs for the ones that don't pass as Accurate. So, imho, when a track isn't going to check as "Accurate" I'd prefer not to hear a reminder of that each time it plays.

As for "Insecure" -- it's the same OCD that makes me think a nasty red "Insecure" is worse than a green "Secure" -- not so? ie, if C2 off gives me a Secure rip, and C2 on gives me Insecure, wouldn't that seem to imply that I'm better off with C2 off?

And, per the instructions, if the setting should be based on whether your drive "supports C2 well" or not, how can you actually determine that about your drive?

Or should we just pack it in, and hustle off to ODC Anonymous?

dBpoweramp Guru

And, per the instructions, if the setting should be based on whether your drive "supports C2 well" or not, how can you actually determine that about your drive?
    Use the "Detect C2 Support" button next to the use C2 option in the secure ripping menu.

The digital innovations cd repair kits do a fantastic job of repairing CDs without label side scratches.