title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Your Naming Scheme

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bjorn
    • Aug 2008

Re: Your Naming Scheme

I just purchases dbpoweramp. Great program, but I find the naming scheme difficult. I've tried some of the naming schemes mentioned here, but having some problems.
    When I use WMP or Winamp, CDs with guest singers or compilations are placed as separate CDs under artist.
    Example. CD: Best of Emmylou Harris. This has a few guest singers. With mye naming scheme know, I get several albums under artist in the library. One with Emmylou Harris, one with E.H. and Roy Orbison, one with E.H. and Dolly Parton, etc.

I don't like that. One CD is then spread out under several artist names. I would like albums with guest singers to be only placed under the main artist of the CD and compilations under various or something. This is the way WMP player does it when it's used for ripping.

So what naming scheme do I need to use?

Are there any disadvantages of using naming scheme like I'm like I'm looking for? I'm new to this (just turned from CD player to a HTPC), and may not know the best organized way when I have ripped many CDs.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

The way I do this is I just put complications in under the album name and CDs with guest singers are hand-edited to where the artist is just the main artist and the guest singer is placed in the title of the song. Note that if you use [album artist] in the naming scheme it should alieviate this problem. However, Winamp and WMP will read the artist tag, which has both the artist and the guest artist, which is probably where the problem is coming in.

Comment

• bjorn
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by LtData
        The way I do this is I just put complications in under the album name and CDs with guest singers are hand-edited to where the artist is just the main artist and the guest singer is placed in the title of the song. Note that if you use [album artist] in the naming scheme it should alieviate this problem. However, Winamp and WMP will read the artist tag, which has both the artist and the guest artist, which is probably where the problem is coming in.
        Seem like I've bought a program that's "above my league". I need this explained with a "tea-spoon".
        This is the naming scheme I've been using lately:
        [IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[][album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

So, are you saying the problem lies with Winamp and WMP? What string can I use with these programs and what if I start to use Zoomplayer.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Your naming scheme is putting album artist in the naming scheme correctly. However, as I said above, WMP and Winamp are reading the multi-artist tag. There isn't a way to automate how dMC handles these files in regards to filename, unfortunately, so you would have to hand-edit the artist and track name before ripping, as I have to do.

Comment

• CeeDubbs
            • Aug 2008

Hey All,

I am a custom audio/video installer and I will be doing batch ripping for clients on occassion.

I've read the various threads on naming schemes and the issue I face with defining an elaborate naming scheme is that once I am done with the batch ripping process, my clients will then most likely continue to acquire content online or process subsequent rips on their own in Media Center, Media Player, or iTunes. Having them use dbpoweramp with my set naming scheme unfortunately will not be an option.

What I am looking to do is set the naming scheme so that it matches the naming scheme used by Media Player and iTunes. I believe this means the following:

[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album]\[track] [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[track] [title][]

I tested several of the naming schemes posted in this forum and using the multiple disc set function has the potential to duplicate the disc number. For example, I was ripping Neil Young's Decade and using the multiple disc function created a folder named "Decade, Disc 1 (Disc 1)" as opposed to just "Decade, Disc 1" which is what the music databases were all showing.

I guess I'm wondering, why are people setting a naming scheme for Multi discs if that should already be coming from the music databased? The only thing that I can think of is that users are editing the metadata obtained from the music databased before processing the rip, but editing the metadata doesn't seem to be an option using the batch rip process.

Also, can anyone confirm if my naming scheme best matches what Media Player and iTunes adhere to by default?

Thanks

Ed

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Look in the Meta data option for Batch ipper, there is an option to add disc to the album name, switch it off.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• CeeDubbs
                • Aug 2008

Thanks!

For some reason the batch ripping process has an issue picking up from the set naming scheme in CD Ripper. I set the scheme on 3 drives, closed the app and then pulled up the profile I set in the batch ripping app but the CDs were ripped to the default folder location in WAV. I had to set it again under the profile name for it to take. Seems to be okay now.

Ed

Comment

• ameliajune
                  • Aug 2008

Naming regular cd's: - Artist\Album\Track Title

Ex: Madonna\Justify\05 Borderline

Various Artists/Compilations - Various Artists(or Compilations)\Album\Track Title

Ex: Compilations\Grammy Nominees\05 Borderline

How do I type the naming so it does both examples?

Please assist, thank you!

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

ameliajune: Try this and see if it behaves how you want:
                    Code:
                    [IFCOMP]Compilations[][IF!COMP]][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album]\[track] - [title]

Comment

• ameliajune
                      • Aug 2008

Thank you....Well that's very close... this is what I get....

Compilations\Chilled Euphoria, Disc 1\ - Touched by God

What's missing is the track number. I know it's there because when I imported it through iTunes it showed up in the folder structure such as...

C:\Documents and Settings\....\iTunes Music\Compilations\Chilled Euphoria [Disc 1]

and then under that, the first song shows this:

1-01 Drifting Away

Ideally, I'd like it to match this. However, if I place the Disc Number in the code I get "Disc 1 Disc 1" because I find that on most CD's that's already encoded so it shows up automatically.

Any ideas?
                      ---------------------------------
                      EDIT: I just ripped a CD and although it didn't show in the example, it seems to have worked. Meaning, I got this:

C:\Documents and Settings\.......\Compilations\Chilled Euphoria, Disc 1

and then under that, the first song shows this:

01 - Drifting Away

Hooray! :happy: Thank you. So even though it doesn't show up in the example, it worked. I wonder why the track number was absent in the example??

Any ideas on how I can get 1-01 as a read on multiple discs? (Not a must, but since we're at it.)
                      Last edited by ameliajune; 08-25-2008, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

the 1-01 where 1 is the disk and 01 is the track? If so, try this:
                        Code:
                        [IFCOMP]Compilations[][IF!COMP]][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] - [title]
                        Also, if you want to turn off the automatic appending of the Disc number to the album name, go into the Options in the CD ripper (the button, not the arrow), click the "settings" button beside the ID Tag section, and change the "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" setting to (Never)

Comment

• ameliajune
                          • Aug 2008

Also, if you want to turn off the automatic appending of the Disc number to the album name, go into the Options in the CD ripper (the button, not the arrow), click the "settings" button beside the ID Tag section, and change the "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" setting to (Never)
                          AHA! I didn't even know that option existed! Thank you. So I can either keep that on and change the Naming Scheme or Keep the Naming Scheme and change that to Never. Either way will avoid the double "Disc One."

When I first put the naming tag in (using copy and paste) I had to delete one of the [] after [artist] for it to show up right in the example, but then when I went back to it I think it is back in. I'm not sure that example feature is fully functional or maybe it's just me.

I do think there should be an option to delete those tags so all my "test runs" aren't so confusing and stay in the drop down menu.

Many thanks!
                          Last edited by ameliajune; 08-25-2008, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• sjmac
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Aug 2008

My Dynamic Naming Scheme:

[IFEQUALS]Genre,Classical,Classical\[][IF!EQUALS]Genre,Classical,[IFEQUALS]Genre,Opera,Classical\[][][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist]\[][album]\[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title]

In the metadata options I have
                            Multi CD add disk to album: "[album], CD [disk]"
                            which I need so that albums will be presented sanely in Windows Media Player 11 (if I use the "never" option then tracks from different disks of the same album are interleaved in the album track list).

On disk I get folders like this:
                            Code:
                            C:\ripcache>tree LosslessAudioRips
                            C:\RIPCACHE\LOSSLESSAUDIORIPS
                            ├───10cc And Godley & Creme
                            │   └───Changing Faces; The Best Of 10cc And Godley & Creme
                            ├───Classical
                            │   └───Puccini
                            │       └───The Best of Puccini
                            ├───Richard Hayman
                            │   ├───Star Trek
                            │   └───Star Wars and Other Sci-Fi Classics
                            └───Various Artists
                                └───Juke Joint Blues
                            I make sure to always have an Album Artist text (basically I use the "Where would you expect to find the CD in a shop?" approach) and use "Various Artists" when I can't think of anything better!

Question:

I would like to strip off the ", CD 1" and ", CD 2" parts from the [album] part of folder names. Is there a way to trim, for example, 6 characters from the end of the album string in the dynamic naming?

For example, I want all tracks from Pink Floyd > The Wall in the same folder on disk, but I want the metadata tags to say The Wall, CD 1 or The Wall, CD 2 as appropriate.
                            Last edited by sjmac; 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM. Reason: extra info

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

You would have to remove it from the album title.

----------
                              R13.1 defaults naming to:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\\[album]\\[track] [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\\[album]\\[artist] - [track][] - [title]

(the album title is now removed from the filename)
                              Last edited by Spoon; 08-29-2008, 09:24 AM.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sjmac
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Aug 2008

Question:
                                I would like to strip off the ", CD 1" and ", CD 2" parts from the [album] part of folder names. Is there a way to trim, for example, 6 characters from the end of the album string in the dynamic naming?

Originally posted by Spoon
                                You would have to remove it from the album title.
                                OK, but I want the ", CD 1" part left in the [album] value for the metadata. It's more important for me to have good metadata put in automatically, so I'll just remember to move the files after the rip.

Could I hack up some command line DSP or other option to do the move?

Comment

Working...

]]>