title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Different CRC with Winamp/iTunes than dbpoweramp

Different CRC with Winamp/iTunes than dbpoweramp

i am kinda obsessed with testing this lossless thing out (like OCD)...

I ripped a cd with DBpoweramp, iTunes, and Winamp into WAV (and also ALAC with itunes), and then used the music converter calculate CRC/MD5 Hash function to check the CRC/MD5.

The winamp and iTunes rip's CRC/MD5 matched each other, but the dbpoweramp was different.

I have ripped all of my music with dbpoweramp, but am now concerned that there may be something that could decrease the chance of my FLAC files being lossless. My results are more often than not Accurate with AccurateRip (ie agreeing with other dbPowerAmp users, and if not, then often the "diffrerent pressing" thing.

I have run about five trials with different songs and cds. Is this something to be worried about? How can this be accounted for?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Different CRC with Winamp/iTunes than dbpoweramp

Are you using accuraterip and or read offesets with dbpoweramp? If so, you will get a different CRC. dBpoweramp is WAYYYYYY more reliable then either winamp or itunes!

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    Are you using accuraterip and or read offesets with dbpoweramp? If so, you will get a different CRC. dBpoweramp is WAYYYYYY more reliable then either winamp or itunes!
    Yeah, i have always used accuraterip and have calculated my drive offset. what effect does this have on the ripping vs winamp/itunes?

Administrator

iTunes and Winamp do not ue drive offsets, so if you rip the same disc on different drives (with those programs) you will get different audio files.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just curious....

Would a better comparison be CRC's between dMC Ripper and EAC? I think EAC *does* use drive offset...right?

Administrator

EAC and dBpoweramp will create identical CRCs, be aware that ID Tags will change CRCs, so it best to use our utility codec [audio crc] (from the Reference Codec pack) to show the CRC of just the audio data.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you are using accuraterip, and the rip is shown as accurate its the same thing as getting matching CRCs only better since its in different drives on different discs. If you are really paranoid and a rip is only secure, not accurate, then re-rip in a different model drive. If you are really really paranoid rip a different copy of the original pressing of the same disc in a different drive.

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    If you are really paranoid...If you are really really paranoid...
    <raising hand>