title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper Freezes, Locks Computer

CD Ripper Freezes, Locks Computer

Hi,

I was doing a spot of ripping tonight, and the dBpowerAmp ripper froze on two separate occasions. I couldn't even do a CTRL>ALT>DELETE, the computer was locked up completely, and I had to do a hard reboot (turn the computer off and on again) on both occasions.

Any idea what might be causing this? CD drive running too hot (6 CDs at Ultra Secure rip settings, but allowed drive to cool down after each CD)? Too many other programs running (I had two or three other progs running as well as dBpA)? Something else?

I'm running dBpowerAmp Reference R12.3.

Hardware specs: Athlon XP 1800+, 1.5GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM/8MB Cache Seagate Barracuda hard drive.

Many thanks in advance.

Phil

Administrator

Re: CD Ripper Freezes, Locks Computer

>Something else?

Yes something else, no matter how hot the cd drive gets, or how many programs run, Windows 2000 it self should not stop responding.

When it does lock up try ejecting the cd (button on drive).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    >Something else?

Yes something else, no matter how hot the cd drive gets, or how many programs run, Windows 2000 it self should not stop responding.

When it does lock up try ejecting the cd (button on drive).
    I was thinking how unusual this was. It's been a LONG time since anything on my computer has locked up Win2K Pro like this. A simple CTRL>ALT>DELETE almost always reboots without any problem.

Does dBpowerAmp R12 have any known issues with Windows 2000 or any other software? Does it play better with Windows XP? I've been seriously considering upgrading to XP anyway, as newer versions of several of my essential pieces of software are no longer backwards compatible with Windows 2000. I REALLY hate it when that happens. I prefer Win2K (best version of Windows that Microsoft ever produced) to WinXP - I find it more stable, and it certainly runs better in less resources and on older machines.

Btw, I didn't try the eject button when the computer froze. If a freeze occurs again, I'll try that.

Administrator

Win XP is Win2K with better visuals, so no differences really.

dBpoweramp Guru

And Windows Server 2003 is Windows XP with better internals (and less annoying visuals).

-brendan

Except that these "better visuals" (I think they look like kiddies cartoon stuff) come at a high price. WinXP requires more memory and cpu resources than Win2K. Win2K runs smoothly on an older machine with only 128MB RAM (and runs like a dream on 256MB). WinXP is virtually unusable with anything under 256MB RAM and doesn't run well (if at all) on very old machines.

Personally, I always run WinXP with the "classic" interface and all the annoying visuals and animations turned off, even on a modern high-powered computer. Easier on the resources, and makes the computer much more responsive/snappier, as well as being much less offensive to the eyes.