title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Pioneer DVR-115D with "PureRead"

dBpoweramp Guru

Pioneer DVR-115D with "PureRead"

Pioneer as recently introduced a new optical drive with a new feature they have called Pure Read:

In addition, the drive features the "PURE READ" function, to compensate the noise introduced when a scratched or dusty audio CD is reproduced. The idea behind PURE READ is to try and correct damaged sectors which are read from the Audio-CD. The feature re-reads damaged sectors to see if it can recover them (I.E. when ripping an Audio-CD). When these damaged sectors are read in a normal scenario, the sector may well be read without any serious error, but sometimes pops or crackles can be heard in the final ripped file. When a sector that is difficult to read is detected, the laser tries to re-read the damaged sector. Not just re-reading the sector, but the drive will actually adjust its read parameters (I.E. higher or lower laser power and the angle of the laser beam are adjusted) to try and get the best-possible read-back from that damaged sector. An algorithm calculates the "best" or "average" result it achieves, and that information (I.E. the best-possible result) is then used as part of the final ripped MP3 file. Re-reading of damaged sectors can be up to a maximum of 40 times.
    PURE READ offers are 3 reading modes (that can be set by Pioneer's "QuietDrive utility"):

- Perfect Mode - after re-reading the damaged sector/s, if a "best-possible result" cannot be made, then the drive/software will cease. (I.E. the "perfect" rip of a track is not possible and the user should select Master mode.)

- Master Mode - after re-reading the damaged sector/s, a "best-possible result" is then used in the final ripped MP3 file.

- Standard Mode - the same as Pioneer's regular DVD drives. (I.E. the damaged sector will be read without any re-reading or best-possible result scenarios.)
    It will be interesting to find out if the drive supports:
    -HTOA
    -Overreading
    -Software control of PureRead

Spoon, this may be a great drive for an OEM version of dBpoweramp ;-)

Re: Pioneer DVR-115D with "PureRead"

As long as it reads the data and sends it through without any attempt at "correction", it should be fine. But if it is trying to do correction on the fly, it'll probably mess up AccurateRip.

Administrator

and wether it gives out c2 pointers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    and wether it gives out c2 pointers.
    I would imagine that the standard mode certainly does. Even if the drive does internal correction (which I hope it doesn't) it won't hurt accuraterip. The big question is the PureRead all internal or can software interact with it, and how fast is it?

Seems with the focus on "accurately" reading audio discs pioneer might be interested in the AccurateRip project if it was brought to their attention.