title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: <<COMMA_>> file naming problem

Question <<COMMA_>> file naming problem

Hi there,

I really hope someone can help me with this, it's driving me potty!

I like to use this naming convention:

DAVID GRAY\White Ladder\DAVID GRAY - White Ladder - 01 - please forgive me.mp3

For this, I created the following naming script:

[UPPER][artist][]\[album]\[UPPER][artist][] - [album] - [track] - [LOWER][title][]

(actually a more complex version, which also works for compilations & multi-cd sets, but the problem is the same whichever script I use)

Anyway, this works perfectly, most of the time, unless the artist has a comma in their name - eg: GRAY, DAVID

This results in folders & files being created looking like this:

GRAY <<COMMA_>>DAVID

:( Argh! Any ideas?

If I use the default setting, it works fine, i.e. it creates folders & files called:

GRAY, DAVID

Where am I going in wrong in my script???

Re: <<COMMA_>> file naming problem

For info, here is the actual (more complex) version I use...

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[UPPER][album artist][],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[album] - [track] - [UPPER][artist][] - [LOWER][title][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[UPPER][album artist][],[artist][]\[album]\[UPPER][artist][] - [album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[] - [track] - [LOWER][title][][]
    ...and it works absolutely perfectly, apart from when there is a comma in the artist's name, and then it all screws up :( and I get the <<COMMMA_>> problem...

Administrator

Which program are you using? there are many which use naming: CD Ripper // Music Converter / Arrange Audio / Multi Encoder.

Sorry, I'm using CD Ripper, but there wasn't a forum for that - I notice you've created one now.

To sum the issue up, there seems to be a problem when commas are encountered, when using the [UPPER] string (and possibly others, I haven't tried them yet).

It makes file names with <<COMMA_>> in them, rather than ,

Thanks

Administrator

It looks like the UpperCase bit is throwing off the internal comma bit, I will mark as a bug to be fixed in R13 and R12.4

midflight, does the same thing happen with other punctuation, like periods, semicolons, apostrophes, etc?

Administrator

Should not do, ',' is used in the naming string to seperate items, so it is renamed in the string whilst naming is run then put back after.