title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Batch Ripper: Media Changer Loader (Sony XL1B) Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shazbot
    • Mar 2008

Re: Batch Ripper: Media Changer Loader (Sony XL1B) Discussions

Me again..

Is there any way to include a 2-3 second delay between uploading and ejecting a CD in your code.. as it seems my issues are around CD shake within the carousel. The Arm to reject and load the CD is coming in too quick before the carousel has stopped, and the arm misses the CD in the slot.. My thicker density CD's are loading ok (less shake when tha carousel stops) but the thinner ones are not..

I know this sounds crazy but I have watched the mechanism for a while now..

Please dont tell me I'm crazy..

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

My opinion* is that the issue you are having is either a defective mechanism or a side-effect of the unusual power arrangement you are using.

IIRC, the call to load a CD into the drive or to eject a CD into your hand is a single call to the unit, so timing can't be controlled by the drivers in the batch ripper.

-brendan

* just an opinion though.

Comment

• daxb
        • Apr 2008

I finally got my Sony unit up and running with the batch ripper. Wish this hardware/software was around some time ago. Overall, very please with the outcome with the following notes:

I upgraded my OS to Windows XP MCE. This did help with just finding and setting it up with the first disc. Someone above noted that turning the unit off then on again got you to the disc one slot as well. Wish I figured that out in the first place. MCE does help by letting you know what discs are loaded where so you can eject the bad ones for further evaluation rather than eject all 200 discs.

In all of my tests (not many), it always tried to re-rip disc 1. In other words, it would start ripping disc one, eject it, load it and try to rip again. The program then rejected the disc as "same as last". After this it did move to disc 2.

Apparently I got a bit crazy and ripped 200 discs at once. Wish I would have waited a few days to get the AMG license thing as well. It might have helped on naming a few files (see below). GD3 did work good and numerous CDs used the smart metadata. AMG may have made it just that much better.

I also did not use RC2 which may have helped with the file naming and folder structure. In any case, the resultant folder structure on my first run resulted in all files getting placed under the [artist] folder with no subfolders for album or disc folders for multi disc sets. I did use the default naming scheme so I am not sure why things went wrong in the batch ripper. The r13 cd ripper does create the subfolders though. Why might this happen and is there any way to fix it now without re-ripping ($$$ to GD3)?

One last idea/enhancement. Could you set the maximum number of discs rather than perform the manual stop. For example, set the number to 200 so it does not start the whole thing over again when it does a complete cycle. This could be a user set value.

And another question. Somewhere, I thought I checked a box to have the artist name changed from THE ARTIST to ARTIST, THE but I cannot seem to find it now. Not sure but I would like to find it. It also did not work in every case but it did for most. This is a key feature for me since I use a Phatbox in my volkswagen. It uses the artist name to generate a voice prompt to browse the collection through the factory radio.

-Dax

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Have a look at the [arrange audio] utility codec in Codec Central.

You can set the disc count, set 'end after' to discs ripped and type the number.

'The, ' option is under 'Meta' button.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• daxb
            • Apr 2008

I guess I should have mentioned that I tried the Arrange Audio codec. A very slick tool but I could not get it to parse separate discs into separate folders. I simply cut and pasted the default dynamic naming scheme in the codec. For example, Pink Floyd's The Wall all ended up in a single folder under Pink Floyd rather than disc 1, disc 2. If Dark Side of the Moon was ripped in the same session, it too would have ended up in the root Pink Floyd folder.

Thanks for the disc count tip.

Thanks for the info on ",The". It would appear to make sense to move many if not all of the options in the batch ripper meta bitton over to r13 meta button too. In most instances, I would want to use the same rules regardless of the drive or software I use.

Still an outstanding product with a fair price that I will be recommending to friends. No more EAC for me.

-Dax

Comment

• daxb
              • Apr 2008

Ok, I figured out part of my problem with the tag tool but it has left me wondering if the original batch rip did not capture some of the metadata and if it did not, should it? In particular, using the [IFMULTI] function never yeilds a result that includes disc numbering in the new file scheme.

I can get all of my CDs sorted into files by \[album]\, just not \[album] [disc]\. It seems like the ifmulti information is absent when the tag tool looks for the info.

The little test tool using the Madonna example does show my dynamic naming scheme working too.

A related question... The Meta button in batch ripper has an option "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" with several choices in a drop down. If I use a complex [IFMULTI] dynamic naming string, will this Meta option be redundant? I plan to test it to confirm but I need to get to bed. I am assuming that it will add the disc number to the actual album tag which is great.

Let me know if this should go to a different thread....

Thanks,
              Dax

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

It needs the compilation tag written to the file.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mns
                  • Apr 2008

Hi first want to say great software, i am non-commercial new user just getting started ripping my collection for use in iPod (mobile) and apple tv on home stereo system. I have HP Digital Entertainment Center z557 running Vista Home Premium and the Sony XL1B, I began ripping using the MCE GUI but it was very unreliable so that started my search for a better solution which and I was glad to find the DBPowamp Batch Ripper. (Especially like the accuracy checking). My ultimate goal is to RIP all my collection into a lossless digital format that can be used as a base upon which I can convert to any format I may need later. I choose WMA lossless since it seems to have that capability and also is the easiest to convert to aac for apple devices.

I installed the R13 and then Batch Ripper and codecs and support for the xl1b and I was very pleased to rip 125 discs on my first try. however since then i have not been able to complete more than 30 at a time. (not sure if this is Batch Ripper problem or the HP/Vista/Sony XL1B.

So now to my questions.

1) Are there any logs that I can send to you that would help your Batch Ripper Development (thought that since batch ripper is crashing/locking on my system that logs may provide your developers with some info to improv the software or deal with unstable systems (if it turns out it is the HP/Vista/Sony compents causing the crash)

2) Would be a nice enhancement to enable Sony XL1B users to start at a particulary disk number in the event a system crash prevents ripping all the CDs. Right now i manually unload all 200 and then reload the items that did not rip. (if there is a better way would appreciate any tips)

Thanks again for the GREAT software

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

When it crashes the whole system locks up?
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mns
                      • Apr 2008

yes whole system locks up

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Then it is a driver, or hardware issue, not software.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• daxb
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mns
                          2) Would be a nice enhancement to enable Sony XL1B users to start at a particulary disk number in the event a system crash prevents ripping all the CDs. Right now i manually unload all 200 and then reload the items that did not rip. (if there is a better way would appreciate any tips)

Thanks again for the GREAT software
                          I concur with this second enhancement. I tried it using the MCE interface to set the first disc i wanted to rip, say it was in slot 100, hoping it would continue on. It ripped the the disc in slot 100 and then rotated to slot 1.

Comment

• bhoar
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                            Then it is a driver, or hardware issue, not software.
                            Is there anything else on the firewire chain?

-brendan

Comment

• mns
                              • Apr 2008

no just this single sony xl1b with 1 fw cable from sony xl1b to pc.

Comment

• Porcus
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mns

Utility gives you the opportunity to eject any CD not mounted. Since the OK ones will be at the beginning, then a simple for i = 0 to n-1 loop (the XL1 starts at disc # 0) will enable you to eject those n CD's.

Comment

Working...

]]>