title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Sytem crashes when normalizing mp3's

Unhappy Sytem crashes when normalizing mp3's

Every time I try to convert a mp3 using normalization my computer crashes,could someone please help me out?

Administrator
    Which crashes, Windows or dBpowerAMP?

Windows crashes,but just when I try to normalize mp3's

Administrator
    I would place my bets that something to do with the hardware is unstable, such as the Processor over heating.

If it was a program error, then dBpowerAMP would crash not windows.

Question

Well I just successfully normalized 13 files without my sytem crashing.I normally load about 100 files but my system would crash after four or five files.I'm kinda stumped,but my cpu was running pretty warm,it peaked at 64C.wtch is hotter than I like.There was also over 100 megs of ram free.I guess I should just load smaller number of files?

And get A better cooler on my cpu,I'm only running the factory AMD fan and sink.

Administrator
    I am not an expert in cpu temperatures, 64oC sounds alot to me, anyone?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Beyond 70°C, I've heard AMD Athlons & Durons behave very badly. (Crashes, random reboots etc.)

It doesn't surprise me that at 64°C you're getting problems. No doubt running it at a temp like that will shorten your CPU's life. A standard AMD cooler should do the job... (unless you have an AMD K6/2, they run very hot!) what else is in your case? lots of hard disks? a couple of fast scsi hard disks will easily heat up your case nicely

My system shouldn't run this hot.I only have 1 40 gb ide hard drive,1 32X cdrw drive,1 Nvidia Geforce 4 mx420 graphics board,I also have 2 case cooling fans.I may have a bad cpu or maybe its just really dusty,I'm going to open this box up today and have a look.If there is not a lot of dust I'm going to get an aftermarket cooler for the cpu.

If what I mentioned above does not help I will probably look into a replacment cpu(possibly a faster one,I have an MSI 745 ultra motherboard that can handle a athlon 2000+,I have a 1800+)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    What sort of tower do you have? Could be just a small cramped case giving you the heat problems. Some thermal paste might help too. Might want to check your power supply and see if it's the culprit giving you the heat problems. Best of luck to you and a happy new year.

These are the specs for my case,not at all small or cramped,plenty of room.Now here comes the dumb question,whats the best way to check my power supply temp?

The case hase 2 fans,I'm sure its not the case,although I do want an antec server case.

ENERMAX Model* FS-501WW3 (WHITE/BLUE) ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE w/ POWERUP 300W P-4 POWER SUPPLY - RETAIL
    Wonderful ventilation design, Bezels can slide up or down according to user's configuration, and Fits in ATX, Pentium 4 M/B for best application.
    Specifications:
    Material: Japanese steel 0.8mm
    Drive Bays: External 4 X 5.25" - 2 X 3.5" Internal 4 X 3.5"
    System Board: ATX ; Pentium 4 M/B ,12"x9.6"
    Expansion Slot: 7 Slots
    USB/IO: 2 X USB, 1 X Microphone jack, 1 X Headphone jack (all on front)
    Standard Fan(s): 1 X 80mm (side panel), 1 X 80mm (top case)
    Optional Fan(s): 1 X 120mm or 90mm or 80mm (front)
    Dimensions: 17.126" (L) X 7.874" (W) X 16.732" (H) Please see images