title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: converter support - no CDGrab after renewal

converter support - no CDGrab after renewal

After I renewed my license my ripper no longer works. I do not use this feature as often as the converter so it may have been after a week since I upgraded. Anyway, my ripper can not find CDGrab.exe after the update. I do not think I have the original setup.exe for the upgrade.

Re: converter support - no CDGrab after renewal

Did you upgrade from r11.5 of Music Converter to r12.3 of Music Converter?

If so, try browsing My Computer>drive>Program Files>dBpowerAmp, open the dBpowerAmp folder and look for CDRipper.exe (this is the new replacement for CDGrab.exe, if I recall correctly, unfortunately I cannot confirm this until I get home but I know that the r12.3 version of Music Converter uses a different name for what used to be CDGrab). You will also need to upgrade all of your old codecs also.

Hope this helps. If not, let us know.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Oldtimer-
    Hopefully you were able to locate and access the CD ripper function following the directions I gave. You may have noticed, however, that the name of the file IS CDGrab and NOT CDRipper as I had thought. My apologies for the confusion.

If you open the application the window will be labelled dBpowerAMP CD Ripper and if you go Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP the application will be titled dBpwerAMP CD Ripper.

Best wishes,
    Bill
    Last edited by xoas; 11-05-2007 at 06:06 PM.

No I wasn't not able to locate it. I think it was removed during the uninstall then not installed during the install. It was bothersome to have to uninstall then reboot just to update a license.

So were you upgrading from r11.5 or an earlier version of r12?
    I ask because I believe the install path should have been different fot r12.3 than it was for r11.5 (but the path would have been the same if you were upgrading from r 12, 12.1 or 12.2)

Bill

Moved to dMC Support.
    Check your dMC install directory, do you see the cdripper.exe there?

I really do not know what version I just installed. I bought the converter this summer. Then my subscription for the database expired so I updated that then a month later my license expired for my decoders and that was a week or so ago. I have no idea what I was doing other than following instructions. I am not very pleased with the product at this point.

Where would the install directory be? That may be part of the problem. I have found directories in at least one place on C: but the app is on J:, with my audio stuff.

Administrator

Select Start >> Programs >> dBpoweramp Music Converter >> Configuration >> dBpoweramp Configuration

use the 'copy versions to clipboard' message

Oldtimer-
    Where would the install directory be? That may be part of the problem. I have found directories in at least one place on C: but the app is on J:, with my audio stuff.
    I see where your profile indicates that you have had r11 of Music Converter at some point in time. Almost certainly that is not the version you would have downloaded this summer or upgraded. It would be helpful if you could post the data for your dMC Configuration as Spoon has suggested (since he is the programmer and only paid staff for this set of programs his advice always deserves consideration).

Versions 11.5 and earlier of Music Converter would install by default in a folder labeled Illustrate within the Program Files folder on your primary drive (unless you did a custom installation). Versions 12 and later install (I believe, I have a somewhat customized installation of r 12 myself) to a folder labeled dBpowerAMP (not Illustrate) within the Program Files folder on your primary drive (unless you did a custom install).

You can have both versions installed on the same computer but they have to be in separate folders. I have both installed and to date (knock on wood) I have not had any files for r12+ end up getting installed in the wrong folder nor have I had any downloads for my r11.5 version end up getting installed in the wrong place. This was not an uncommon problem however when users were first switching from r11.5 to r12 but I have not run into this problem recently.

The important thing to be mindful of is that (assuming you had r11 installed) you cannot mix parts of Music Converter 11.5 or earlier (including the older codecs - which are now known as Legacy codecs, Sveta, dB Audio Player, or r2 of dB CD Writer) with parts of Music Converter r12+ (including the codecs listed in Codec Central and the r3 beta version of CD Writer). The old codecs will NOT work with the new Music Converter, the new codecs will NOT work with the old (r11.5 and earlier) version of Music Converter.

Hope this helps (and do post your configuration assuming this does not fully give you what you need).

Best wishes,
    Bill

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by xoas
    Versions 11.5 and earlier of Music Converter would install by default in a folder labeled Illustrate within the Program Files folder on your primary drive (unless you did a custom installation). Versions 12 and later install (I believe, I have a somewhat customized installation of r 12 myself) to a folder labeled dBpowerAMP (not Illustrate) within the Program Files folder on your primary drive (unless you did a custom install).
    I'm pretty sure it's still BootVolume:\Program Files\Illustrate\... with version 12.

(replace "BootVolume:\Program Files\" with the localized string if you are using another language-based install of windows)

-brendan

dBpoweramp Music Converter
    Release 12.3
    Registration Status
    mp3 License & Power Pack: Registered
    All Media Guide: 322 Days Access Remaining

I might have upgraded from 12.2 but not 11.x

I did use a custom installation. At the time my C: drive was pretty much out of space.
    The exe is missing in the j:\illustrate\dbpoweramp directory. There are only 5 exes. That is the problem.
    Last edited by oldtimer; 11-06-2007 at 04:35 PM.

As far as the version mystery goes I installed a demo version maybe in the spring but never got around to using it. The add said I would have 30 days of actual use so I took it at its word. However, when I got around to needing it for something I was expired after no days of actual use. It was 30 days after installation like most software. That is also a sore point.

How can you tell what my profile is?

I think I am OK now. I found all my installation files and started with the first exe and moved forward but did not allow the in installs to uninstall the previous software. CDGrab.exe is back where it is supposed to be.

How can you tell what my profile is?
    Members can create public profiles. To access these, click on their screen name at the left of a post of theirs and select View Public Profile. This may contain information about what software they are using but, as you could see if you looked at mine, not everyone has this information (and not everyone chooses to create this information and not everyone who does keeps their information updated).

The exe is missing in the j:\illustrate\dbpoweramp directory. There are only 5 exes. That is the problem.
    So did you get it fixed or you still need a hand?

Best wishes,
    Bill

PS Thanks Brendan for clarifying that issue (about the default installation path).
    Bill