title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R13 requests / suggestions

Re: R13 requests / suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    smholt: while it isn't quite what your looking for, you would probably be interesting in this: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=14846
    Great, this can be used to create the metadatafile in a pc readable format.
    I would love to have the possibility to select which fields to show, outputfile, etc, but it's a good start. :blush:

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    -HTOA (Hidden Track One Audio)
    Implemented now, it seems -- but Track 0 unchecked by default. Is there a way to turn it *on* by default, or at least remember whether the ripper managed to grab it?

Administrator

We do not turn it on by default as not many drives can rip HTOA

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We do not turn it on by default as not many drives can rip HTOA
    Sorry, my bad about the "default" phrase: Is there an option for me to choose "Always rip HTOA with this drive" without checking every time? (Should be such an option for Batch Ripper, I think.)
    Last edited by Porcus; 02-19-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Administrator

I don't think the option can be relied on 100% of the time, in EAC you have to manually set the start time, this is a smart guess which is likely to be wrong on copy protected discs

dBpoweramp Guru

How is this dealt with in the Batch Ripper? Just one more flag we will need. I have never had a problem with ripping a HTOA track in EAC.

dBpoweramp Guru

It seems to me it is not dealt with in Batch Ripper. I would at least have wanted a flag, so that I can detect a HTOA disc and manually rip that track afterwards. (I'd like discs with non-audio content to be flagged as well.)

Administrator

HTOA is not delt at all with Batch Ripper.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    HTOA is not delt at all with Batch Ripper.
    OUCH. Yes, we DEFINITELY need to be able to flag these discs so that they can be ripped separately.

Wouldn't one way to deal with this be to look and see if there is meta-data for that track? If there is, its almost certainly HTOA and can be ripped.

Administrator

HTOA would never have meta data, the track does not exist.

dBpoweramp Guru

If HTOA tracks are the ones often referred to, such as Songs in the Key of X, and identified in EAC as the first track in red, then in fact they often, almost always have had meta data from freedb.

And what do you mean, they do not exist? They are just hidden.

Administrator

No it is the track before that red one (my understanding of EAC is not 100%), the track 0 cannot have a name in any meta data database as it has no name on the insert, it is hidden.

dBpoweramp Guru

The track before the red one? No, the red one, in my experience, has always come before the first named track. Often, there is actually a title to the song. The band may play it in live sets or fans find out the name elsewhere, but often there is still a name.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    The track before the red one? No, the red one, in my experience, has always come before the first named track. Often, there is actually a title to the song. The band may play it in live sets or fans find out the name elsewhere, but often there is still a name.
    Eli - that's not what I remember from EAC (though I haven't used it in over a year). IIRC, if there's HTOA, EAC turns Track 01 red, to let you know to manually extract the HTOA. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On the other hand, I don't fully understand why the batch ripper or the cd ripper don't automatically *try* to get the HTOA.

While most drives can't do it, they'll typically either a) error out at the attempt or b) appear to succeed but return null audio values. At the very worst case, the batch ripper should be able to be configured to automatically reject discs that appear to have HTOA and note that reason in the logs so that the operator can use the cd ripper to manually extract them.

Riptastic! has had support for HTOA for years now. On drives that support HTOA, it would automatically extract it, giving it a generic title of Track 00 (or something) similar since there is never metadata for the track (it's not part of the cddb standard, from what I understand).

-brendan

dBpoweramp Guru

EAC successfully rips HTOA into WAV or FLAC image (tested a couple of days ago on my Sony XL1 changer, I may do further tests if anyone requests it).

For Batch Ripper purposes, I definitely think that the HTOA should be read, and if it does not rip properly -- or there is a risk that it returns zeroes -- then the disc should be flagged. Same goes for discs containing non-audio tracks. For batch ripping you need at least logs to rely on, and a batch ripper which pretends that everything is OK is worse than one which rejects these discs.