title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to rip thousands of cds?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How to rip thousands of cds?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    I mean that if you have multiple CD drives and just call CD ripper multiple times, you end up slowing down the whole process to the point of probably eliminating your advantage of using 2 CD drives. Use the Batch Ripper instead.
    LtData - I suspect this isn't the case, at least, not in a major way. The batch ripper itself does this, launching multiple cdgrab.exe processes, hidden from view, one per drive.

Manually running the cdgrab.exe's is almost the same but with less automation. You just have to watch to make sure that each cdgrab doesn't start looking at a different (wrong) drive on CD insert/eject, as they are wont to do. Or rather, when one does this, you must manually switching the drive letter back...and you will end up doing this a lot.

If you don't catch it, this can lead to two cdgrab.exe's trying to rip from the same CD drive at the same drive...if you aren't careful before you click the Rip button. That certainly would decrease throughput...

The batch ripper avoids this as it technically runs one cdgrab.exe per *CD*, each one told to exit after a CD finishes ripping, so it doesn't wait around, dejected, cd-less, looking for another CD friend to play with. Also, when the cdgrab.exe launched, the drive is already loaded with a spun up CD and the passed parameters force the cdgrab.exe to look at a specific drive. So, with the batch ripper, there's no chance of the cdgrab.exe getting distracted by other drives.

-brendan
    Last edited by bhoar; 08-23-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    I mean that if you have multiple CD drives and just call CD ripper multiple times, you end up slowing down the whole process to the point of probably eliminating your advantage of using 2 CD drives. Use the Batch Ripper instead.
    K, you scared me for a sec

NoMo
    Last edited by NoMo; 08-24-2008 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >>same post form Hydrogen Audio<<
    Entry level into robotic (non carrousel) loading is the Datatronics MiniCubis (they are the manufactuer, the drives also are sold under the names: MFDigital Baxter, Stordigital 25, Diskmakers Pico, Acronova DupliQ).

They have a 25 disc capacity, which is about 1 hours of ripping. Currently only 1 of these drives can be used on the same PC at once, we (dBpoweramp) are working with datatronics to get multiple drives working from the same PC.
    Can multiple MiniCubises run at the same time now on one PC? It's been three years since this post, I hope some progress has been made

Administrator

No they cannot