title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: recode 320k mp3 to lower bitrate

recode 320k mp3 to lower bitrate

Recently i recoded some folders containing high-quality 320k mp3 tracks to a smaller size/lower quality for use in my car audio system, using DBPoweramp.

However, my car system (blaupunkt FX) stalled several times during playback of these recoded tracks.
    Example:If i play xyz.mp3, it stalls at 0:49. If i try it again, it again stalls at the same point. If i fast-forward the track to 0:50 or later, it plays the rest of track just fine.

I can only assume the mp3 stream created by dbp is somehow corrupted, or is incompatible with the audio system in my car.

The original 320k mp3 tracks played back just fine, but with 8 - 15MByte per track they take a lot of space in the USB stick / sd-card.

Are there guidelines for recoding mp3's for use in embedded systems like car audio or other hardware? Should i use or avoid certain settings?

adTHANKSvance!
    Last edited by joopv; 08-10-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Administrator

Re: recode 320k mp3 to lower bitrate

What settings did you use, your car system might not be fully compatible with VBR mp3s.

Thanks,
    I used these settings:
    converting to mp3 (lame)
    target: quality (VBR)
    var bit rate quality -V 7 (est bit rate 100kbps)
    encoding: normal

Administrator

Try a CBR encoding