title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barryl
    • Nov 2007

Re: dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

The dbPowerAMp config utility says my 'trial' reference will end in one day. I can switch to the r12.4 ref which will get me back to full ref functionality....but I assume that the Batch Ripper will no longer work. Is there any way to continue testing the Batch Ripper? Will the Batch Ripper continue to work with the R13 Alpha without Reference?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Install R12.4 Ref, then install R13 over the top without uninstalling R12.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• barryl
        • Nov 2007

I uninstalled the Batch Ripper.
        Uninstalled R13
        Rebooted
        Installed R12.4 Ref
        Installed R13

Config still says 1 day remaining.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Registered Reference or the Reference trial?

Comment

• barryl
            • Nov 2007

R12.4 Registered Reference. I did not uninstall codecs or AMG, but I assume they do not matter.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

After you installed the r12.4 registered but before r13, did dBpoweramp Configuratin show registered?

Comment

• barryl
                • Nov 2007

Yes, I just did the sequence again to be sure. Registered after v12.4. Trial (1 day left) after v13

Comment

• barryl
                  • Nov 2007

This is bizarre. Today my 'days left' indicator reached 0 and Reference was deactivated. I decided to try the entire install sequence again. This time it worked! ...performing exactly the same sequence as yesterday.

I guess third times the charm.

Comment

• barryl
                    • Nov 2007

Not sure if this is the correct thread for 'issues' so please let me know if it is not. I've ripped about 300CDs using the batch ripper and all in all it has worked great.

I've noticed that the app crashes pretty consistantly if you exit without first stopping the rip. (app inactive, no CDs in drives).

I had a CD rejected as 'Not Audio CD' (which I seem to get sometimes as opposed to 'No Meta Data'). I placed another CD in the drive, but when ripping started it was displaying the meta data for the rejected CD. (timing problem?)

I popped the drive door on the CD which was ripping incorrectly but the rip process continued through each track until an error message was finally posted. Can I please request that incomplete/damaged tracks be deleted? After the rip (in error) finished I had a malformed file for each track.

Is it planned to be able to choose a lookup order via the meta providers? freedb is okay for what I'm currently doing, but I'd like the app to use AMG if freedb does not have the data.

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by barryl
                      1. I've noticed that the app crashes pretty consistantly if you exit without first stopping the rip. (app inactive, no CDs in drives).

2. I had a CD rejected as 'Not Audio CD' (which I seem to get sometimes as opposed to 'No Meta Data'). I placed another CD in the drive, but when ripping started it was displaying the meta data for the rejected CD. (timing problem?)

3. I popped the drive door on the CD which was ripping incorrectly but the rip process continued through each track until an error message was finally posted. Can I please request that incomplete/damaged tracks be deleted? After the rip (in error) finished I had a malformed file for each track.

4. Is it planned to be able to choose a lookup order via the meta providers? freedb is okay for what I'm currently doing, but I'd like the app to use AMG if freedb does not have the data.
                      1. I've seen this consistently as well.

2. Haven't seen this before.

3. I've seen this. Botht he batch ripper and cd ripper apps should be updated to tell the difference between read errors and an unmounted/ejected disc.

4. That would definitely be nice. Though, an initial match to freedb would mean there would be no album art, since freedb doesn't provide that service (while AMG and GD3 do).

-brendan

Comment

• latefordinner
                        • Dec 2007

I did this as well, having purchased the full reference version. I do not have a problem with the number of days remaining.

One problem, however, keeps cropping up with my Sony XL1B3. Batchripper will get stuck on a given track of a CD and will keep trying to rip that track for hours until I cancel the CD and let it move to the next. This problem seems to happen most often in multi-CD sets (boxed sets).

Originally posted by Spoon
                        Install R12.4 Ref, then install R13 over the top without uninstalling R12.

Comment

• kevinoconnor
                          • Jun 2007

According to the development status thread for the batch ripper, the stuff left to do is:

MusicBrainz
                          Inteligent meta data,
                          Album Art scanning / import

Does that mean that ripping to a single file is already done? I can't find any way to do it (in the batch ripper or in the regular ripper).

Comment

• latefordinner
                            • Dec 2007

A few additional issues:

1. Presumably because I have exhausted the AMG lookups, Batchripper is now returning less-reliable metadata. It no longer picks up any album art, and sometimes the wrong artist (or a garbled name for the artist) appaers. Also, on multi-CD sets, Disc 1 will appear, for example, as "Charlie Parker - Jazz at the Philharmonic 1946," while Disc 2 appears as "D 2) - D 2)," Disc 3 appears as "Charlie Parker - Jazz at the Philharmonic 1949," and Disc 4 appears as "sc 5) - sc 5)"--in other words, there is no uniformity. I assume that Batchripper is using freedb. (Can I verify which database it is using?) Is there no way to benefit from the CDRipper AMG license that I acquired by purchasing the registered version of CDRipper?

2. The lack of uniformity sometimes leaks into the saving of filenames. For example, I am using FLAC, and on a Ray Charles multi-disc set, some tracks are saved in the Ray Charles folder with the disc number appearing in the file name, e.g., "Ray Charles - Pure Genius; The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952-1959) Disc 1 - 01 - The Sun's Gonna Shine Again," while other tracks appear in subfolders within the Ray Charles folder, e.g., folder name "Pure Genius; The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952-1959) Disc 3," which then contains the tracks from that disc.

Is there a way to edit the metadata to make everything under artist Ray Charles uniform so that all the tracks appear in the main Ray Charles folder? What about for erroneous metadata, where, for example, the lookup misidentifies the artist, CD title, and tracks (Diana Krall's "From This Moment On" appears as a single track--"with Me"--from Melissa Dori Dye)? Is there any easy way to mass-edit metadata?

Batchripper is already a very useful product and will become even more so, I am sure, when it enters the next beta phase.

Originally posted by kevinoconnor
                            According to the development status thread for the batch ripper, the stuff left to do is:

MusicBrainz
                            Inteligent meta data,
                            Album Art scanning / import

Does that mean that ripping to a single file is already done? I can't find any way to do it (in the batch ripper or in the regular ripper).

Comment

• peterfs
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by latefordinner
                              One problem, however, keeps cropping up with my Sony XL1B3. Batchripper will get stuck on a given track of a CD and will keep trying to rip that track for hours until I cancel the CD and let it move to the next. This problem seems to happen most often in multi-CD sets (boxed sets).
                              Yep, that's really annoying. It'd be great to have a way to skip ripping a track if the re-rip frame count goes above a settable number.

Particularly with the XL1B3, if there's ever a reason to restart a session (say after a power outage), it would be great to be able to specify a starting slot number. As it is, if I don't want to re-rip a bunch of discs, I have to eject everything loaded and reload the ones that haven't been ripped.

While I'm on a wish list binge, another thing would be to store the TOC in flac encoded files. Certain meta-data providers (GD3 being the example I know of) use that to differentiate CD's in their database; if I want to contribute album art or other metadata to their database, a) I can't specify which album it is without it being in the drive, and b) I can't re-download the album because there's no way to keep track of which ones I've accessed or contributed.

Apparently, metadata content accessed from GD3 is not inserted in the dbPoweramp cache. Is that deliberate? I could understand why if batch ripper is considered a commercial application.

In spite of the above occasional problems, I have to say that it's very satisfying to successfully rip 100+ CD's unattended.

- peter

Comment

• EliC
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • May 2004

commercial or not, I would think the meta data from a source should be placed in the cache, especially if you pay for it.

As for the TOC in FLAC, its up to FLAC's developer to add support. For a work around, I have requested that spoon include the option to write the TOC to a separate file in the album directory.

See my thread in the wishlist forum regarding optimizing the sweet spot to have the option to avoid discs that take to long to rip.

Comment

Working...

]]>