title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

My earlier suggestion of drive profiles (that is "profiles" of rip-related settings per drive) might address part of the issue, should spoon consider it.

-brendan

Comment

• EliC
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Teknojnky

Or, more simply, I would like to be able to rip multiple discs straight from a single CDGrab without resorting to batch ripper.

Manually running multiple instances of cdgrab (without using batch ripper) is just an inelegant solution, IMO.
      I agree, and do not think this would take away from the commercial use of the batch ripper. Commercial users will use the batch ripper and robots.

I have requested DRIVE TABS, so that each drive could have a separate tab in the ripper, so that you don't need to open the program multiple times. I would also like to see the return of Rip on Insert and Eject after rip options.

Comment

• onthejazz
        • Dec 2006

DRIVE TABS would be brilliant!

Comment

• Teknojnky
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2006

yea drive tabs would be great, or even simply being able to change the drive drop down while ripping to be able to view/rip from multiple drives simultaniously.

so in essence, the UI would be one thread, while each drive and it's rip/encode threads would all be separate and you could easily/quickly change which drive your viewing without affecting any other drive/process.

You can already eject after rip from the options, but you can't change the option while ripping (since the option button is disabled during rips).
          Options > cd rom > checkbox eject after rip

see post here regarding improving eject after rip.

I second the auto-rip on insert request.

Comment

• EliC
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

This discussion really should be in R13 or wishlist.

Comment

• CiXel
              • Nov 2007

One thing that is still killing me in RC2 is that Long meta data is truncated and parsed incorrectly.

Ie. Free DB Disc-ID: rock / 9b0aac0c

Paul Simon / Still Crazy After All These Years (Expanded + Remastered)

Shows up as
              stered) - stered)
              in batch ripper. Even the artist is superseded.

Therefore I get:
              Ripped 'Track 1' to 'E:\Mpeg\New\TAG\FLAC\stered)\stered)\01-Still Crazy After All These Years(stered) - stered)).flac'
              Which makes it difficult to figure out what the album actually is after the fact.

I have many examples of this.
              FreeDb Disc-ID: rock / 9708330d
              Bee Gees / Bee Gees - Studio Albums 67-68 (Disc 4: Horizontal Unissued)
              Shows up as:
              Artist: nissued)
              Album: nissued)

Might be worth looking into before it is actually unleashed.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Cixel: What naming string are you using? (click 'edit' next to profile) and copy the naming string (click set next to naming).
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

Spoon - a request for the batch ripper.

Would it be possible to have a setting in the batch ripper that not only skips the encoding step (I can already do that by choosing the Test Conversion codec) but actually skips the entire ripping process as well, just loading and unloading?

I know that sounds really silly, but it would be useful for hardware testing purposes now and in the future.

Why? Over the next few weeks, I am going to be performing reliability testing of the ULCLI with several robots - the ability to skip the rip step would save wear and tear on the drives and will also reduce the test time.

-brendan

PS - If not, hmm...what I'll probably do as a workaround is either load stacks of blanks/cdroms (or load stacks of audio CDs upside down), putting only a few good audio cds into the mix...and then reverse the ULCLI configurations for reject and unload. That should simulate things pretty close to correctly from the robot point of view, esp. since the ULCLI handles all the reject counting anyway.

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

Another request:

The batch ripper drive configuration screen has sections for each of five external requests: pre-batch, load, unload, reject and post-batch.

My suggestion:

Allow for two additional user configurable calls. By making them configurable, you keep the GUI generic and the relationship with automation hardware abstracted.

- In keeping with the naming scheme, the subdirectory names would be User1 and User2
                    - The executables called would be User1.exe and User2.exe.
                    - The batch ripper, when idle, would allow you to right click on a drive line and activate either User1 or User2 (note: ugly menu items addressed by next bullet point). I repeat - these should be greyed out unless the batch ripper is idle.
                    - The DefaultCmdLine.txt syntax would be extended to support a fourth line of text. That line, if set, would replace the text shown in the line above the edit field ("User1" and "User2" in this case) in the batch ripper drive configuration scheme as well as in the batch ripper right click menu.
                    - If I'm not already too far out on a limb, a fifth line could be added to DefaultCmdLine.txt which could be used to store a substitution for the "Are you sure?" text question when called via right-click menu.

Example #1:

For the Sonly XL1B/XL1B2/XL1B3 units, you could use this functionality to add "Perform Disc Inventory" and "Perform Mass Eject" commands, rather than having to rely on external tools (or front panel buttons).

Example #2:

For some of the robots, I could add commands such as "Toggle Robotic Shake mode" or "Perform Full Robotic Reset".

In addition, it is probably a good idea to add a "Are you sure you want to xxx?" dialog box for right click options such as this, of course.

-brendan

PS - if two is good, hey, why not three? Yes, I know, it makes the GUI busy...I know, I know.
                    Last edited by bhoar; 04-03-2008, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Just delete cdgrab.exe, it will not rip then.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• CiXel
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                        Cixel: What naming string are you using? (click 'edit' next to profile) and copy the naming string (click set next to naming).
                        Here is my naming string. Sorry for the delay.

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] (disc [disc])[]\[track]-[title]([artist] - [album][IFMULTI] (disc [disc])[])[][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album] [IFMULTI](disc [disc])[]\[track]-[title]([artist] - [album][IFMULTI] (disc [disc])[])[]

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

The latest beta fixes the freedb issue.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• daxb
                            • Apr 2008

The Multi CD add disc to Album option in the meta options conflicts with the dynamic naming. I get the following results if I use the dynamic naming scheme shown below as well as check the option of Multi CD add disc to album.

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][]\[track] - [artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][]\[track] - [artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][] - [title][]

Folder
                            Subfolder(s)

Led Zeppelin
                            Physical Graffiti Disc 1 of 2
                            Physical Graffiti, Disc 2 of 2 Disc 2 of 2

On some, the first disc does not even get the folder name with disc #
                            On the Album tag, the second disc gets the tag "Physical Graffiti, Disc 2 of 2" but the first disc album tag has no disc numbering, simply "Physical Graffiti".

It is almost as though the dynamic naming scheme for file names and folder structure should ignore what the checkbox is doing. Not sure if there is any workaround for getting the disc numbers on the first disc of multiple disc sets.

-Dax

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][]\[track] - [artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][]\[track] - [artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc] of [disc_total][] - [title][]

Remove the parts I have highlighted.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Sep 2006

Question for spoon:

In the batch ripper, the per-disc speed value (e.g. "22x") is shown.

Is that a snapshot of/rating of the IO (data) throughput to the drive (that it, it doesn't take into consideration rereads) or is that the effective speed of final data extraction for that section of the disc (takes into consideration the negative impact of rereads)?

That is, hypothetically: if two discs of the same length each show a speed of 22x all the way through, would the time to rip be approximately the same regardless of other factors such as: in AR/not in AR, match AR/no match AR, burst vs. re-reads, etc.?

I think I'm doing a bad job of asking the question. Let me try one more time.

Given two discs of approximately the same length, if I saw 22x the vast majority of the time while ripping both of them, would it be possible for one disc to take substantially longer than the other if they were both in relatively good condition?

I guess I don't really know what, exactly, is being reported there.

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>