title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Possible dBpowerAMP/iTunes conflict??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Empgamer
    • Aug 2007

Re: Possible dBpowerAMP/iTunes conflict??

OK. Looking at Spoons' guide it says:

I recently installed a new large hard disk drive, it contained my music collection and was set to a slave drive on the primary IDE channel. I also noticed after adding the new large drive (there was a smaller one there before) that clicking and other disturbances were present on audio playback, these were not there previously.

On inspection in Device Manager (start >> settings >> control panel >> system >> hardware >> Device Manager) looking under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers >> Primary IDE Channel (right click >> proporties) 'Advanced Settings' current transfer mode was not a DMA (the fastest, it was some PIO).

To solve it select each item under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers' right click >> uninstall (click no to reboot until all are removed, uninstall Master Controller last, then reboot, Windows will refind the IDE controllers and reboot again, all should be well.

Now, when I look under Device Manager I have a line for CD/DVD drive (along with countless others) and one for IDE/ATA ATAPI. I don't think I have to touch the CD/DVD line?

On that basis, when I expand the IDE I get three other sub-fields:

Primary IDE
    Secondary IDE
    Standard Dual Channel PC IDE Controller

When I open 'Primary' and go to advanced I have Device 0 and Device 1

Under Device 0, Device Type is greyed out, Transfer Mode is DMA if Available and Current Mode is PIO.

Under Device 1 Device Type issn't greyed out, Transfer Mode is the same and Current is N/A (there is only one drive installed on the machine).

The Advanced Settings on the Secondary Channel are all as per Device 1 above.

In short, I just want to be sure that the one I need to tinker with is the primary one (the only one showing PIO). That said I thought Primary was the Hard Drive and that Secondary should be the CD/DVD. I'm not really sure how these channels work or how to find out what is linked to what so I just don't want to bugger up the wrong one :-( The advice from the Spoons guide seems to imply that i need to Uninstall Primary, Secondary and then Standard Dual Channel by right clicking on each (as opposed to going into advanced settings and using uninstall/update etc). It's a little confusing.
    Last edited by Empgamer; 09-19-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

IMHO, using the vbscript here is far less terrifying:

In either case, removing the devices will do no harm, windows knows to recreate them.

-brendan

Comment

• Empgamer
        • Aug 2007

You might be right and I may do that next time. I had a System Restore which I created before I started the rip and just went back to that. Seemed even less risky.

Only thing I can't quite figure with the MS Registry fix is that it first tells you to edit the key for the primary channel and then for the secondary as well:

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
        2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
        3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
        4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
        5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
        6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:
        1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
        2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002
        3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
        4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
        5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
        6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Unless that is, it means do one or the other, but it looks like both? That said, my Primary (the one that seems to get affected by all this) is on 004 (with 003 being the Dual Controller and 005 being the Secondary). Strangely, 001 and 002 aren't even listed???

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Again, this is why I recommended the VBS code above - it will cycle through all of them (0-999).

-brendan

Comment

• Empgamer
            • Aug 2007

Ah, thanks for that. I didn't realise the VBS script didi both (e.g. first reset the drive to UDMA and Device Manager AND then also edits the registry so it will revert to UDMA after a successful read of an undamaged disk).

I suppose that if you only wanted to fix the specific problem relating to the drive concerned, you only NEED to fix the primary but it possibly pays to fix it on all of them.

Comment

• Empgamer
              • Aug 2007

Well, having made a system restore point AND backed up the registry I thought I'd go for the full monty today.

I uninstalled the three devices under IDE/ATAPI (Dual/Primary and Secondary) and re-booted Windows. It found the devices and re-installed the drivers and I reset the Primary to UDMA. I had a shock at first as it still showed current mode as PIO but when I re-booted again it had gone to UDMA2. I also found that it had tidied up the registry with these devices now shown in the same order as the MS Fix (e.g. 0001/0002).

I also then edited the registry as per Lt Datas MS post.

All well and good so far. Thanks very much for the help.

Just one query, if (when) it drops to PIO what is the routine to go through to reset the transfer mode back to UDMA?

1) Insert a CD and just play it?
              2) Rip a CD (and then re rip it - e.g.will it go to UDMA at the start of the CD or once it has ripped it)?
              3) Re-boot and do either 1 or 2 above?
              4) Something else?

I understand it will reset the counters and revert to UDMA after it's gone to PIO but I'm not quite sure how it works and what you have to do to get it to do so.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

Hm... I remember having this issue about 1.5 years ago. LtData helped me through the process, and steps to fix it are the same as in this thread.

Perhaps this thread should be merged into the FAQ?

I also mention this because a substantial number of computer users out there just so happen to be Dell users as well, and since this issue seems to affect Dell XPS users in general.... Well, you get the idea.

Comment

• Wayne
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Aug 2002

I've just had this happen to one of my drives (switching to PIO) fortunately thanks to this posting I was able to quickly reset it back to DMA.

I suspect the switch occured when I tried to use the drive to read a DVD/RW and the reading of the DVD seemed to stick. I didn't realise that anything had changed until I noticed that ripping CD tracks seemed slower that usual.

Thankfully it's back to normal.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

The big thing I noticed when my drive was switched to PIO was that anytime I access a CD, all the audio on my computer went to total garbage.

Comment

Working...

]]>