title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Maybe Wrong Place?

Maybe Wrong Place?

Well sorry I don't know much about dBpowerAMP music converter but, currently I am using a program which grabs the flash files from youtube and then convert them into the songs, one problem though the size of the songs are about 7-10mb which is way too big, is there a way to shrink the files yet keep the quality?

Re: Maybe Wrong Place?

No, to shrink the files you must sacrifice quality. Now, that is not to say that all small files are junk, people can tolerate turning settings down to a point and each person reaches that point at different settings.

Now, what format and bitrate is the file?

An example song is about 5 minutes long, bitrate: 256 kbps = 9 megs
    Edit: Another one would be 2:43, bitrate: 256 kbps, 5 megs

If the songs are MP3, which it sounds like they are, try a lower bitrate such as 160kbps or 128kbps. If you go lower than that, you start to really lose quality.

dBpoweramp Guru

Slayah, out of curiosity, may I ask:

What bitrate do you find "unappealing"? That is, say you were listening to the radio and you heard this cool song, and went on iTunes or some other media service and decided to download an mp3 of that song, but at like 128 kbps. Would you find the piece "tolerable" to your ear, or would you want something with a higher bitrate? (higher bitrate = better quality)

I've decided to set it at 128 kbps and thats fine, but would it be at all possible to set a higher bitrate and get the old quality or no ?

No, once you lose the information (by lowering the bitrate) you can never get it back.

Thanks a lot for your time.