title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

playing .m4a files on the Xbox 360

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gopher_49
    • Sep 2007

playing .m4a files on the Xbox 360

I converted a handful of .flac files to Apple Lossless .m4a files. I can play the .m4a files in Windows Media Player, however, I cannot stream the files to my Xbox. Also, for me to get the .m4a files to play in Windows Media player I had to run the .m4a optimizer against the files. So, now that they play on Windows Media Player how can I get them to play on the Xbox? There is something about the file that the Xbox doesn't like. I have all directX codecs installed for I can simply play the .m4a files via any media player I have. Also, I'm using TVersity to stream the .m4a lossless files to my Xbox.

Help! :cry:
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: playing .m4a files on the Xbox 360

If you are trying to use the XBox as a Media-Center Extender, I think it will only stream WMA files. Have you tried using WMA files, not lossless, just normal WMA?

Comment

• gopher_49
      • Sep 2007

I've gotten it to work! I ended up using Orb (orb.com). I downloaded the Orb software and shared my music folders, pics, and videos. I then converted all .wma's and .flac's to .m4a (ALAC) Apple Lossless files. All audio plays AWSOME! It's funny how I ended up using a Apple format to make it work on a Microsoft product! I'm now streaming lossless audio perfectly.

One question though. If I use dbPowerAmp to convert lossless .WMA and .FLAC files to .m4a (ALAC) Apple Lossless, will it convert them to WAV files first before encoding them to .m4a (ALAC) Apple Lossless? This is the only way to void losing quality.......

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Lossless to Lossless is just that without loss, you could convert between any lossless format 100's of times without loss.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>