title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

AccurateRip Explained

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

AccurateRip Explained

The time has come to spill the beans on AccurateRip:

Starting with dBpowerAMP Music Conveter Release 10, AccurateRip will be included - this is a clever database of all CDs in existance. Hopefully the database will populate quickly after initial launch - the database is designed for about 1 Million CD discs.

Initially AccurateRip is 'Unconfigured', this means the program does not known the Offset value of the drive, as soon as a recognised CD is inserted (recognised means any CD ripped by any other user who has AccurateRip configured) AccurateRip will offer to AutoFind the offset. Once that is found AccurateRip is enabled, each time a disc is ripped it is compared with the results in the database - it can inform you wether it is accurate. Once a month the database can be automatically updated (the disc you have ripped are added for other peoples benefit).

So say 100 people have ripped Madonnas Erotica - all results are stored on my computer - the one of the highest match (true one) is used to form the database - so when you get around to Ripping this disc it will offer a Confidence of 100** (see below)

Say only one person has ripped the disc before, well the system works in your favour - if everything goes ok it will match the existing one and it will give a confidence of 1, but what if they do not match - well it means either their or your rip is wrong, to find out which see below.

Say you rip a disc that is not in the database? at the end it will tell you, now the beauty of this system is you can verify the rip using your own result (the last rip is in your database), preferabbly on a different CD drive (my research has pointed that different drives tend not to (I have not come across one case yet) return the same result, but the same drive ripping and re-ripping the same disc can, I have seen it!).

** Really if 100 people submitted results for 1 disc, I would expect a number of them to be wrong, these are filtered out (the nice fact that one scratch on someone elses CD will not be the same scratch on your CD), so from a 100 it might have 67 that match - the confidence would then be 67.
    Last edited by Spoon; 12-09-2002, 09:37 PM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Volunteers wanted

I am after volunteers with large CD collections (over 100 discs) to partake in AccurateRip, also to help populate the database (others cannot begin to use accurate rip until it recognises a known disc).

A special Test Diagnostics CD will be sent for AccurateRip to seed on.

Send your email to dbpoweramp@dbpoweramp.com
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

i have done 95 so far. i only have about 15 t0 20 left.

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

well thats another 20 that bites the dust. i might have another bunch to do on monday.

Comment

• Nothingface5384

sounds great..but what about all the factors..wouldnt these affect the accuracy, speed of conversion,no use/use ofcrc checksums, type of codec ..the bit rate, type of bitrate etc
          would any of that make a diferent

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It does not affect it, AccurateRip is integrated and is run straight with the raw data off an audio CD, before DSP effects and compression.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Nothingface5384

ahh cool stuff?...ok 1 more question..what if for some reason more ppl had rips w/ errors and only a select few had a good rip? how would that work?...other then that i'm waiting for the beta :D

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Not a problem, because all the errors will not match up - everyone would have to have a CD with a scratch in the same place.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• totalXSive
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2002

I seem to be having a problem with Enhanced CDs. I've always had to override the default parameters with my own track length for the final track (otherwise dMC attempts to rip both the final track and the data track then displays a CODEC error).

Anyway, if I do this, it will always report that the CD is not in the AccurateRip database, even if I've ripped it before.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

I will not be saving the results for those CDs (if track lengths are altered you have created a unique CD), I will make a note - really it should get the enhanced CDs working.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>