title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Naming Scheme tutorial feedback

Re: Naming Scheme tutorial feedback

I just finished my third time through your tutorial. Thank you for the wonderful effort. I am left with a question most likely stemming my fragile literacy with computers.

given:
    [IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[artist][]
    is it not possible to have a composer and key soloist in the naming scheme? Say you have a CD of Yo-Yo Ma performing Bach (e.g. Simply Baroque/ Yo-Yo Ma. Does one have to choose between composer and artist?

I'm struggling a bit here. Could you take a moment to include a naming scheme for a symphonic CD, with, for example, the following hierarchical fields simplified from the Amazon.com example above (forgive my fabrication in that it is in truth a single CD package, not a set of two):
    1. composer (Johann Sebastian Bach)
    2. orchestra (Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra)
    3. soloist (Yo-Yo Ma)
    4. conductor (Ton Koopman)
    5. disc 1 (of 2)
    6. symphony (Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major)
    7. movement (Air on a G String)
    Last edited by LowWaterMark; 07-27-2008 at 06:39 AM. Reason: typo

As a follow up to my original inquiry above, I understand that dBpoweramp is written in C++ programming language. Is the naming scheme also written in C++ or is it a dialect thereof or completely different? I'm unsure if Vorbis Comments is a subset of C++ or unrelated. I have read the Ogg Vorbis Documentation at Xiph and this associated website re Ogg Vorbis as well as this C++ tutorial for non-programmers. As to the big picture I am still confused.

I'm trying to understand the logic behind the naming scheme and am looking to teach myself that language (or language dialect). I wish to become somewhat functional in the language. I'd like to get past my present strategy, which is to copy/paste others' naming schemes.

I'm not asking you to alleviate my ignorance. I'm asking to be directed to a tutorial of sorts so that I can educate myself.
    Last edited by LowWaterMark; 07-28-2008 at 04:54 AM.

Administrator

The naming scheme is not c++

Spoon & LtData's personal naming schemes?

1- Spoon and LtData - could you please post your current personal naming schemes? LtData's, I see your scheme above but I would very much appreciate getting your latest iteration.

2- Do you different schemes for particular scenarios (e.g., multiple artists, compilation)? Sorry about my beginner's question. Figuring out naming has kept me from starting my rip session.

Thank you

Administrator

Re: Spoon & LtData's personal naming schemes?

My current one is the one if you click [default]

Re: Spoon & LtData's personal naming schemes?

My current one:
    [IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[][album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Problem with [IF!EQUALS]

I have a problem that when I use the [IF!EQUALS] operator. I am not getting the expected results.
    Tag and Value
    [album artist] is set to Allman Brothers Band, The
    [artist] is set to Allman Brothers Band, The

I copied the following from the Naming SET button by checking the Current CD Meta box.

my code
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[album artist] - [album] - [IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title][IF!EQUALS][artist],[album artist], - [artist][]

my results
    Allman Brothers Band, The\Hittin' the Note\Allman Brothers Band, The - Hittin' the Note - 02 - High Cost of Low Living - Allman Brothers Band, The

From my understanding of the operator the last artist name in the results should not be there.
    If I change [IF!EQUALS] to [IFEQUALS] the last artist name does not appear.
    This seems opposite to how I understand the operators.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Chip

Administrator

Re: Problem with [IF!EQUALS]

Send your order number please to:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have sent the email as requested.

Administrator

Sorry my oder number request should have gone to another thread...

You need:

[IF!EQUALS]artist,[album artist], - [artist][]

The first tag value does not need [] around as it has to be a tag value, it is a little bit of a discrepancy I know.

Re: Artist surname

Hi
    I've looked at the tutorial but cannot find what I'm after.
    I would like to rip music to a folder with the artist surname ie Jarrett, Keith not Keith Jarrett. Can this be done?
    Thanks

Administrator

Re: Artist surname

Sorry no.

G'day all,
    I've been mucking around with the naming scheme for a bit and have settled on:

[IFCOMP] [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] ([year]) [FLAC]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][] -[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] ([year]) [FLAC]\[track] - [title][]

All works well, but you will notice that I have [FLAC] in there instead of [encoder].... this is because no matter what I do, I keep getting mp3(lame) as a result. My BASIC naming scheme is:
    ARTIST - ALBUM (year) [encoder type] with various permutation for compilations etc. I want my cds ripped in accordance with this template:
    MAIN DIRECTORY NAMED: ARTIST - ALBUM (year) [encoder]
    And inside that directory: /[track] - [title]
    Unless multidisc, then /Disc 1 etc.

Big question - why can't I get the ripper to show what encoder I'm using (I always use FLAC)?
    I have tried [[encoder]] and ([encoder]) and [encoder] but all give me mp3 (lame) as a result when I check naming by selecting Current CD Meta checkbox.

Only a small thing, but...
    Cheers!

Administrator

There is a bug, but only on the naming page in CD Ripper, if you rip a CD with [encoder] the correct one is written.

I Have a question on naming.........

I'm currently using:
    [IF!COMP][GRAB]1,1,[album artist][][][IFCOMP]Compilation[]\[IF!COMP][album artist]\[][[year]] [album] [[UPPER][extension][]][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][IFCOMP] [[artist]][]

That gives me:

...\Music\M\Matthews, Dave & Reynolds, Tim\[1999] Live At Luther College [FLAC]\Disc 1\01 - Title.flac

I added (see bold)

[IF!COMP][GRAB]1,1,[album artist][][][IFCOMP]Compilation[]\[IF!COMP][album artist]\[][[year]] [album] [[UPPER][extension][]][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][IFCOMP] [[artist]][][IFEQUALS]Live,[genre], (Live)[]

I wanted to add (Live) after the title for albums where i set the genre as "Live".

Like so:

...\Music\M\Matthews, Dave & Reynolds, Tim\[1999] Live At Luther College [FLAC]\Disc 1\01 - Title (live).flac

For some reason it doesn't work......any ideas?

NOTES:
    I use the album artist tag to control the folder format. ie "Artist=Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds" and "Album Artist=Mathews, Dave & Reynolds, Tim" This gives me the folder structure i want. This works well for artists with "The" in the title.

Cheers,
    James