title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pre-emphasized CDs

Re: Pre-emphasized CDs

Am I looking in the proper column? Track Technical

I've tested:

Billy Joel 52ST 35DP-1, Santana Abraxas 35DP-58, REO Speed Hi-Infidelity 35 8P-4, Springsteen Born to Run 35DP-21, PF- Wish You Were Here 35DP-4

All of these have PE and I should most would show it in the TOC. I know that The Beatles Abbey Road CP35-3016 has the sub-channel thing, but I'm not familiar with how often that's the case.

I tested with my 35DP-4 WYWH CD. At first since I had already ripped the CD with R14 beta, the pre-emphasis did not show up. I tried the cd a couple times, and finally the pre-emphasis flag showed up under Track Technical.

A_L

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    I tested with my 35DP-4 WYWH CD. At first since I had already ripped the CD with R14 beta, the pre-emphasis did not show up. I tried the cd a couple times, and finally the pre-emphasis flag showed up under Track Technical.

A_L
    Thanks Arnold

I've tried my WYWH "2-track" multiple times using refresh and also ejecting and reinserting. No luck. I have several PE discs, so I'll try them all. I wonder if I should clear some kind of cache or do some sort of reinstall?? I'm pretty bad with computer stuff, but I'm not a complete idiot. Any help from anyone here will be much appreciated!

Btw, you must be a CD collector or just plain lucky to have 35DP-4. It's still the best digital mastering of this album ever pressed.

Administrator

You would switch on the Track Technical column, then press the refresh button.

Hello Spoon,

Can we get a away to properly rip pre-emphasized CDs?

Thanks,
    Don

Administrator

We do not have the de-emph filters, so is not a simple way of doing it.

Post Re: Pre-emphasized CDs

Quote Originally Posted by djs777 View Post
    - run SoX to apply its deemphasis filter, resulting in a corrected .wav file for each track (I could not get any version after 14.1.0 to work, so that's the version I used)
    The latest version should work. I use the Windows build of SoX 14.3.2 and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by djs777 View Post
    But SoX stripped all tag data, and I'm stuck on this. Various ideas, input appreciated: Is there an option within SoX to aviod loss of tags?
    Sure. Don't use WAV! SoX supports FLAC natively so, if you rip to FLAC in the first instance, the metadata will be preserved upon using SoX. Here's an example of how I go about it from the command prompt:

Code:
    cd \Users\kerframil\Music\Temp
    for %F in (*.flac) do sox "%F" "..\%F" deemph
    In this case, the files that needed deemphasizing were within a subfolder named Temp, within my Music folder. The de-emphasized files are duly saved within the parent folder i.e. the "Music" folder itself.

NOTE: The above example assumes that sox.exe is in the system PATH. If it isn't then use the full pathname of the program based on wherever it is installed. For example:

Code:
    for %F in (*.flac) do C:\sox-14-3-2\sox.exe "%F" "..\%F" deemph

Those of you searching for a way to apply de-emphasis to ripped files, one way I found of doing this is with the freeware program WaveEmph, which can be downloaded here. It was written for older Windows 9x operating systems. If you try to run it on a machine with Vista or Windows 7, it will report that it the computer is missing the file MSVBVM50.DLL. That file can be installed using a patch from Microsoft available here.

As the name of the program implies, it only works on WAV files. It's UI is very basic, and it only runs one WAV file at a time, but that's fine as long as you don't have too many songs to process.

I used WaveEmph to de-emphasize the rip of my old Santana Shango CD, and now the album is finally listenable. (I don't have the 2011 30th anniversary remaster of Shango, but I hope they would have removed the pre-emphasis in that version.)

EDIT: I now see that WaveEmph was mentioned earlier in the thread, although the missing DLL issue was not.
    Last edited by IrishPub; 09-29-2011 at 09:12 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Just want to mention that users of the foobar2000 player (why use anything else?) can use the nonstandard fix at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=84544 to apply de-emphasis on-the-fly. It implements the algorithm of SoX.

Of course, a wishlist item for dMC would be to write to the tag, but logging is certainly better than nothing.

WaveEmph
    As a matter of fact, WaveEmph and SoX give slightly different results: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...mphpcmpre.gif/ . See the (somewhat noisy) thread at Hydrogenaudio: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=65067 .

Looks like WaveEmph is adapted to a reference CD once issued by Denon. The thing is, the pre-emphasis was applied using an analogue filter, and if the device used in the mastering was off the reference curve, then ... well, de-emphasis should also be off in order to compensate. Now I have no idea whether Denon/Nippon actually used the most common component in their mastering ...

Probably you won't hear any difference, though.

I just got "Feasting with Panthers" by Marc Almond and Michael Cashmore today. It's a 2011 CD and it's pre-emphasized! At first I thought maybe the flag had just been set in error, but after comparing the original rip to files de-emphasized with Foobar2000 I think it might actually be true. I wonder what the story is behind that?

dBpoweramp Guru

Argh. New record (no pun intended) I think. Last I heard of was my own purchased Lifelover: 'Konkurs', http://www.discogs.com/Lifelover-Kon...elease/1513652 .

Of course, I have no idea why. Well the guy credited with mastering, Michael Zimmerling, has been in that game since the 70's, so he might have kept his old equipment and settings ...

I'd like to bump this old thread and voice my request for a Pre-emphasis solution within dbPoweramp. I agree with jh901 that this is a big deal. Having the ability to detect (TOC and sub-channel) and eq a CD with pre-emphasis would, far and away, separate dbPoweramp from all other programs.

Spoon, is this something that you could revisit and hopefully offer a solution?

I am not interested in Sox or any other program to handle this. I am hoping for a solution within dbPoweramp.

dBpoweramp Guru

dBpoweramp can detect in TOC, but not in subchannel (unless recently updated).
    Doing the EQ (which I wouldn't do anyway ...): there is always the Run External utility DSP so that you can call e.g. SoX from within dBpoweramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    dBpoweramp can detect in TOC, but not in subchannel (unless recently updated).
    Doing the EQ (which I wouldn't do anyway ...): there is always the Run External utility DSP so that you can call e.g. SoX from within dBpoweramp.
    What does this mean? That you wouldn't use Sox within dbPoweramp for the eq'ing?
    Not familiar with running an external utility with dbPoweramp. Can you elaborate?