title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pre-emphasized CDs

Re: Pre-emphasized CDs

Quote Originally Posted by djs777 View Post
    For those you have used SoX, what approach do you recommend:

- use SoX to rip a .wav file and then use dbpa on the .wav to rip to flac, mp3, etc
    - use SoX to rip to flac, mp3 etc (don;t use dbpa at all)
    - other?

thanks!
    i sure could use a proper step-by-step procedure....i'd like to have properly de-emphasized flac files in the end....

and why should this concern never get attention? i can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to fix dBpoweramp. does anyone realize how many members of SH Forum alone might be convinced to pay the $30/yr???

bump

I'm pretty interested in knowing aswell djs

I figured out how to use SoX and Ripper to create mp3 and flac files with deemphasis removed. The one, big problem I have is that all my tag info is gone, and open to any advice on how to not lose it in the process.

the steps I used:

- run Ripper to extract a .wav file for each track and apply tag data
    - run SoX to apply its deemphasis filter, resulting in a corrected .wav file for each track (I could not get any version after 14.1.0 to work, so that's the version I used)
    - run Converter on the corrected .wav files with multi-encoder to create my .mp3 and .flac files

But SoX stripped all tag data, and I'm stuck on this. Various ideas, input appreciated: Is there an option within SoX to aviod loss of tags? Can I run Ripper on the .wav files to re-apply tags, or does Ripper only work on CDs? Can I "trick" Ripper by dumping the .wav files to a CDROM and then using my disc drive to use Ripper? Can I export tags prior to running SoX and then import them again in some way?

I'm stuck, this has taken a huge amount of time to get this far, I'd hate to be defeated by the remaining obstacle, but I grow old.....any help appreciated.
    Last edited by djs777; 05-20-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Question Re: Pre-emphasized CDs

Will the "Track Technical" column say if a CD has the "pre-emphasis" flag?

Also, is there a list of pre-emphasis flagged CDs on the web anywhere?

Also, is dBpoweramp checking both the TOC and Sub Channel for the pre-emphasis flag?

Administrator

Only toc.

Thx Spoon!

Any plans to add a second sub channel check for the pre-emphasis flag?

In the mean time, do you have any idea how we can look at the sub channel info to verify if our CDs have the pre-emphasis flag?

Administrator

Only a handful of discs incorrectly have the TOC and subchannel disagreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Only a handful of discs incorrectly have the TOC and subchannel disagreeing.

I have tested several of my "PE" CDs and none are being picked up in the Track Technical field. This would be a nice feature if it worked. I'm using WaveEmph for my PE CDs, but I'm always not quite sure which have it.

I've reached the point where I'm willing to attempt to persuade EAC users to switch to dBpoweramp if only there is single step PE detection and proper de-emphasis. I really don't think Spoon or others realize what a big deal this is. Many dozens of the best sounding CDs ever pressed have PE. If some on this site only knew what they were missing....

Quote Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
    I have tested several of my "PE" CDs and none are being picked up in the Track Technical field. This would be a nice feature if it worked. I'm using WaveEmph for my PE CDs, but I'm always not quite sure which have it.

I've reached the point where I'm willing to attempt to persuade EAC users to switch to dBpoweramp if only there is single step PE detection and proper de-emphasis. I really don't think Spoon or others realize what a big deal this is. Many dozens of the best sounding CDs ever pressed have PE. If some on this site only knew what they were missing....

Agreed...much needed!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Unless you are running R14 beta it won't. Spoon added it in R14.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
    Unless you are running R14 beta it won't. Spoon added it in R14.
    I just paid for the R14 upgrade. The PE is not shown in the Track Detail field. Is this not a feature that I should expect to work?

Works for me. Tested it with an 80's Pink Floyd Wall CD.

A_L

Administrator

It will not work for those CDs where PE is not highlighted in the TOC, only in the sub-codes - there are a few of these incorrectly mastered cds.