title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pre-emphasized CDs

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Pre-emphasized CDs

One of the utility DSP's can be used to run external processing on your files, which, I guess, would mean that you can use SoX from within dBpoweramp. I haven't tried.

I do not convert my pre-emphasized CDs. I tag them, and I use a media player with a plugin that recognizes the tag and applies the EQ on-the-fly (namely, foobar2000).
    (Also, in order to make sure I have them identified even if I should screw up tags, I use a different file format, namely WavPack in place of FLAC).

Hi,
    I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correctly...

I upgraded my version of dBpoweramp from 14.3 to 14.4 today. My DSP Effects are at Release 9. Support for the detection of pre-emphasis was added to v14 when it released. The software will not de-emphasize the tracks.) However this support is ONLY for CDs where the TOC on a CD is flagged to indicate the presence of pre-emphasis. There is another way that a CD can be identified for the presence of pre-emphasis - dBpoweramp does not check for this. This other method is more rare & appears only on a handful of pre-emphasized CDs.

Theoretically, if I open dBpoweramp, with the Track Technical column showing, and insert a CD with pre-emphasis, there should be an indication of PE in the Track Technical column for each track before I start ripping. If there isn't, and the CD is on the list that was posted on page 2 of this thread, then chances are that TOC was not flagged & the other method was used.

I tested the following Billy Joel CDs:
    The Stranger (35DP2-Japan for US)
    52nd Street (35DP1-Japan for US)
    Glass Houses (35DP18-Japan for US)
    The Nylon Curtain (35DP34-Japan for US)

I saw nothing in the Track Technical column. The only CD I actually ripped (to FLAC & also to Wave) was 52nd Street. After the rip, I checked the tag - nothing was written (that I could see) in the tag - and I could not see this information in the list of available fields to include in the tag. (Pre-emphais is checked-off in the Tag Options.) Is it safe to assume that these supposedly pre-emphasized Billy Joel titles must use the alternate method of flagging the CD? Or am I misunderstanding all of this ... or don't have my dBpoweramp configured properly?

My concern is smple. I have a lot of old CDs. I can accept the fact that completely supporting pre-emphasis at this point in time would be time-consuming for such a small number of CDs. But I would like to be alerted befire I rip one. Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Is it safe to assume that these supposedly pre-emphasized Billy Joel titles must use the alternate method of flagging the CD?
    Seems likely, assuming that there is indeed a pre-emphasis flag somewhere. Have you tried other applications to verify that?

I am new to DBC and I can not find any information on where the Track Technical column is or how to turn it on.

Help Please?

slardy

Administrator

You would right click on one of the column headers, such as Title then select.