title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Please help,how do a convert protected wma to mp3's. I do not have a license for

Please help,how do a convert protected wma to mp3's. I do not have a license for

Please help,how do a convert protected wma to mp3's? I do not have a license for windows media player and I cant seem to download windows media player. Is there a way to do this for free or do you have to buy something. I download music files from limewire and I can play the mp3's on my computer but I can not play wma's.Please give me as much information as possible as I don't know very much about how to do this. Thanks very much.Nancy.

nancylward2002@yahoo.com

Re: Please help,how do a convert protected wma to mp3's. I do not have a license for

Nancy-
    My understanding is that a protected WMA file cannot be converted. A protected file can sometimes be burned to CD in standard CD format and then ripped to a different format from the CD. There are programs that may help you record the protected file as you play it-if you can play it. However, having Windows Media Player installed (which you should be able to download from Microsoft without too much difficulty) will probably not make any difference if the WMA file is truly protected.

You might want to look in the CD and Copy Protection of this forum for more tips specific to WMA.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Re: Please help,how do a convert protected wma to mp3's. I do not have a license for

HI Thanks alot.

Does anyone have any other sugesstions or advice as I do not know much about this sort of issue.Thanks

As xoas said, if you have a file that is protected, whether it is WMA, m4p, Real format, etc, if you do not have the rights to play the file, there is no way for you to get the audio out of that file, period. You might as well just delete it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nward
    I download music files from limewire and I can play the mp3's on my computer but I can not play wma's
    Well, you see, that would be your problem.

First off, unless you have decent computer protection, you're risking your computer to countless viruses, spyware and malware all over the Gnutella2 network. I would've recommended Shareaza (but not the downloading of copyrighted files on Shareaza itself ) but that seems out of the question now (again, unless you already have decent computer protection).

To address your concern about copy-protected WMA's... The fact that you don't have a license shows that you were in fact downloading a copy-protected file. Just so the RIAA doesn't come raiding your home, I'd delete those files (seriously).