title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

(non-drm) wma to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stratcat
    • Aug 2007

(non-drm) wma to mp3

Hello all,

First off, great software, and great forums.

My question is pretty simple, and probably noobish as well.

I have over 45,000 192kb WMA's (Non-DRM) that I need to convert to MP3. My question is this, if I use Helix MP3, with 120 quality (vbr approx 190kb) will that be comparable to say LAME 192cbr? Obviously my reasons for Helix are the superior encoding time, but I want to make sure I am not shooting myself in the foot by using Helix. Also, will I see compatibility issues with the Helix encoded MP3's?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: (non-drm) wma to mp3

There should be no issues wtih using Helix instead of LAME to encode your mp3s. As for the comparison in quality, the numbers indicate there shouldn't be a difference in quality but each person has their own opinion of the quality of files. Why not rip 5 files to each setting and see if you can tell a difference?

Comment

• Stratcat
      • Aug 2007

Re: (non-drm) wma to mp3

Thanks for your response, I tried it last night and while I can hear a difference between 128 and 192, I cannot tell anything over 192. Tried blind ab testing with a 128, 192, 320 and Flac, and while I could tell the 128 every time (5 different songs) I could not ever tell the other three apart. I guess my ears are just not that sensitive.

Comment

Working...

]]>