title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

Yes in the next 3 weeks.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• AgentX
      • Jan 2009

sweet! you guys are the greatest, gives me a reason to upgrade from R12, any idea what the total cost would be (R13+batch ripper for the Bravo II) or do i have to wait 3 weeks to find out lol. I do agree Spoon = Da Man!

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

$36
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hofftodd
          On another note, do you have any suggestions on how to speed up the post-load/pre-MetaData lookup wait time? Using the Kodak robot, I seem to be waiting a couple of minutes before the MetaDat lookup occurs. Note: I have turned off all AutoPlay functionality in the Vista control panel.
          todd -

I've been having a discussion off the board with another Vista user about this.

It appears Vista is doing something really stupid on disc insert and it may not be fixable in software. It only occurs with Vista *and* the ALi m5621 USB<->IDE bridge chip *and* the Teac drive - swapping a different drive in "fixes" it, as done using the Teac drive with a different bridge chipset. What happens is that soon after the disc is inserted, the usbstor.sys driver provokes the bridge chipset into not responding for 2-5 minutes or so. If you look in the Event Log, System sub-area, you see that 1000s of "bad block" errors are being logged for the device. At some point the bridge and OS driver stop arguing and everything works fine again. I'd say this happens on every two out of three disc inserts.

Again it's only with vista, the bridge and that teac drive. Swap out any of the three and everything works fine. So for now, stick to XP.

The above systems are regardless of what software is running, you can see the (non-)result just by watching explorer.

-brendan

Comment

• hofftodd
            • Oct 2008

Brendan,

Thanks for the update. I'm just going to be patient with my current Vista setup. I've taken the tact of putting in a stack of discs and forgetting about it for the rest of the day. I then come back and sort through the rejects. It takes longer than it should (+3-6 minutes per disc), but the Kodak Kiosk is doing the work, not me .

If I ever rebuild this system, I'll definitely be down-grading back to XP for this and other reasons.

Keep you the good work, and thanks for keeping all of us Kiosk owners informed!

Todd

Comment

• darkbane
              • Jan 2009

Hi
              I've just bought a CeDaR DTP4000 (Identical to Rimage DTP4000).
              I've already read the mods I need to do in order to bring out a serial port in the wiki.. but got a pair of questions left:

1) I've read a DTP800 driver is in the works.. any news about it?
              2) In the wiki there's written I need a Firewire to IDE/SATA.. but why Firewire? Wouldn't an USB to IDE or Sata be more practical than FW? (or better yet, a direct ESATA connection?)

Thanks!
              Lo.

Comment

• computer-girl
                • Dec 2008

Brendan,

I really want to thank you, Spoon, any unnamed illustrate developers and the great forum members here.

I ripped about 1300 CDs to FLAC in 9 days time using mostly the Kodak Kiosk and one computer. I have a PX230A and a PX-708A on the same system that picked up the slack for bad reads on the Kiosk. I only have about 9 disks that are totally unreadable and that I will need to replace.

You guys have created excellent products and a very smart and helpful community of forum members here.

Please keep up the great work!

computer-girl

Comment

• darkbane
                  • Jan 2009

Hi
                  I dismounted my DTP4000 to find the serial debug connector, and somewhat I found it, even tho is 5 pin instead of the 4 described in the first posts.

I've managed to connect a serial cable to it, but all that I get is garbage on the screen..

I've tried all the speeds from 300bps to 115200, 8N1.. same result..only garbage.

I read some of you did make this cable... do you remember if you had similar issues?

Thanks!

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

cg:

You're welcome, glad it worked out. For the record how many CDs did you have have trouble using on the Teac drive and what improvement, if any, did you see with the 230a and 708a?

Did you run into any other robot-related issues?

-brendan

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by darkbane
                      Hi
                      I dismounted my DTP4000 to find the serial debug connector, and somewhat I found it, even tho is 5 pin instead of the 4 described in the first posts.

I've managed to connect a serial cable to it, but all that I get is garbage on the screen..

I've tried all the speeds from 300bps to 115200, 8N1.. same result..only garbage.

I read some of you did make this cable... do you remember if you had similar issues?

Thanks!
                      db:

To be honest, the old DTP1000/DTP4000 series aren't worth the time. Especially the SCSI ones.

If you look closely at the DTP series documentation, you have to use the alignment tool to configure them for the thickness of your blank discs measured at the spindle. This was kind of acceptable when one was buying blank discs in bulk, you'd have to run the tool once per 100/1000/5000 discs. But if you're CD ripping, you are going to have a mixture of different thinkness discs back to back in the input pile.

Therefore I've found that these units are nearly useless for CD ripping. And I should know, I've got about 9 of them in the basement. That's the reason the driver for the non-scsi units was removed (and the driver for the scsi units was never posted), they just weren't working reliably.

-brendan

Comment

• darkbane
                        • Jan 2009

Thanks for the quick reply

Actually, I don't need it for ripping but for burning multiple discs (what it was meant for!) but instead of simple replication, I wanted to use it to automate my backups...

..and I do buy blanks in bulk, always same vendor & type (Verbatim Datalife Plus) so even that would not pose a problem..

I've even tried COM Inspector (an utility that tries every possible combination of COM Speed, Bits of stop, flow control etc) but even then I was unable to obtain noting short of garbage from the serial port connector..

Since you have some in the basement, do you remember if they had something 'strange' in their serial connection?

It seems to me that the robot of choice is now the Kodak one, but I've been unable to find any on Ebay since months, and so I think it has become a rarity..

Thanks!

Comment

• bhoar
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2006

I can't find my notes on these (I grew frustrated with them), but...

Try both 19200bps and 14400bps rates. Try each of the following: S, SV, I and IC. Then try those four but with an enter at the end of each.

Anything?

Regarding the Kodaks: you can't find them on ebay because I bought the warehouse out and now resell them, now with software and 90-day warranty, for $300+$30 S/H. This includes a windows script that watches the tray and swaps old disc out/swaps new disc in when the tray opens.

-brendan

Comment

• darkbane
                            • Jan 2009

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply and the infos

As a matter of fact, I didn't try 14400, nor COM inspector did, so I have some hope for tomorrow! (I'm at work right now) THANKS!

As for the Kodak.. That's great news for ComputerGirl, as she was seeking to buy one.. but as for me, that's too much.

I paid my DTP4000 just $50 at a local shop with 4 plextor 12x drives loaded and 2 Waitec spares.. They warned me that most likely there was no way to make it run, but I bough it just to play with it so I think I got what I deserved

Btw, I do live in Italy so I fear shipping cost would be way higher than $30 :(

Again, thanks for your help! I'll keep you updated

Comment

• bhoar
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2006

Yeah, the $30 is for US addresses. Shipping a unit to austria was about $125.

Let me know how it works out.

CG was able to find a kodak unit at the cheaper price last month due to a communication breakdown between the warehouse and I (since corrected)...but it worked out just fine for her.

-brendan

Comment

• darkbane
                                • Jan 2009

Hi Bhoar
                                I've tried 7200 and 14400, along with the usual set (9600,19200 etc), but no luck..
                                If you ever came to find your old docs, could you please verify if you connector was 5 pins too, and how you hooked it to your serial port?

Of course I'm keeping trying, but alas Com Inspector doesn't allow to input 'strange' com speed ports..

Many thanks!

Comment

Working...

]]>